Buy from Apple Store/Online or other Retailer? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brradley, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Brradley macrumors member

Hey, I have a few questions about this. I plan on buying the new iPod touch when it comes out, and I want to know a few things. (There might be a new apple store coming to my local town).

1. If I buy from another retailer, and the iPod is still in warranty, can I take my iPod into the Apple Store for the Genius bar?

2. Can I take an iPod that I bought on the Apple Store online to a genius bar?

3. Are there any other benefits from buying from an Apple Store or online?

Hope someone can answer my questions :D

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes, as long as the device is under warranty, the Genius Bar should be able to support it regardless of the merchant you purchased it from.

The only exception I know to that rule is for country-specific products. i.e. you can't take a UK iPhone to a US Genius Bar because the iPhone is country-specific

The Apple Store online offers free engraving, at least they do in the US. Apple typically stocks itself first, then its retail partners, so you might have better luck finding a new iPod at Apple first. That varies by launch.

I don't know about the UK return dates, but some retailers in the US offer a 30-day return window, sometimes without a restock fee. Apple's return window in the US is 14-days, with a 10% restock fee.