Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I'm getting an iPhone 5 in a week and am wondering the pros and cons, if any, of buying the iPhone 5 from an Apple store, or from the Sprint store. Thanks for the tips/advice.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Seeing as how you haven't decided where to get it from, I'm guessing you haven't pre-ordered.

I'd venture to say that you probably aren't getting it in a week.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Seeing as how you haven't decided where to get it from, I'm guessing you haven't pre-ordered.

I'd venture to say that you probably aren't getting it in a week.
The phones are still sold-out in stores? Thought I gave enough time for the whole initial "sold-out rush" to be over.

LeeMac2012

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
The phones are still sold-out in stores? Thought I gave enough time for the whole initial "sold-out rush" to be over.

Pretty much all the Apple Stores around Dallas have been hit and miss. Carriers seem to have better luck. But to answer your question I would say the Apple Store. I bought mine from Best Buy and it looked fine but had a dead pixel. Took it to the Apple Store and exchanged it but that one had dings. Was thinking about returning it but now I can't because BB wont accept the exchanged phone. Completely my fault and should have done it at BB first but didn't think Apple would be replacing phones with ones that were worse. I guess I was too naive. But if you bought it from Apple at least you can always threaten a return and they will probably be more helpful if yours comes out bad. Good luck!

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

If you want to wait out the rush, you'll be in line sometime in early December. There'll be less crowds and most of the bugs will be worked out software-wise. iOS 6 might even have an update by then. AAMOF, prior to pre-ordering my iPhone 5 from Apple.com, that's the time when I always upgraded to newer iPhones in the past (3Gs & 4) and both of those iPhones were purchased at my local AT&T store. :)

NewToMac11

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011

I was able to walk into a corporate sprint store and purchase 4 phones 5s. no ordering or anything, they had a bunch of 32 and 64 GBs. but no 16gbs. hope this helps.. i also called 2 other and they also said same, only 32 and 64 gbs.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I'm getting an iPhone 5 in a week and am wondering the pros and cons, if any, of buying the iPhone 5 from an Apple store, or from the Sprint store. Thanks for the tips/advice.

My apologies if someone already mentioned this earlier. If you have an older iPhone i.e. 4 or 4s, I would suggest to order through your carrier. AT&T traded in my iPhone 4 32GB for $153 towards a new device. I used it to upgrade to the iPhone 5 64GB in black.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Advantage to purchasing from Apple retail is that you can return the phone for a new retail iPhone 5 anytime within the first 30 days. For example: you want to change color or capacity. For carrier purchased iPhone 5 units you will only get a standard Genius replacement device same color/capacity.

If you purchase from a carrier, your return time varies from 15-30 days depending on carrier and all warranty issues are done by Apple. So if you get a warranty replacement from Apple then you will have issues trying to return your iPhone at the carrier if you decide that you don't like the color or capacity.

Dave

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
My apologies if someone already mentioned this earlier. If you have an older iPhone i.e. 4 or 4s, I would suggest to order through your carrier. AT&T traded in my iPhone 4 32GB for $153 towards a new device. I used it to upgrade to the iPhone 5 64GB in black.

Terrible advice....iPhone 4 32 GB are worth twice that if you get it unlocked.

----------

I was able to walk into a corporate sprint store and purchase 4 phones 5s. no ordering or anything, they had a bunch of 32 and 64 GBs. but no 16gbs. hope this helps.. i also called 2 other and they also said same, only 32 and 64 gbs.

Wait, I misread. If you want Sprint, those ones are everywhere. No one seems to want those.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Sprint stores will have selection of other devices to compare. Apple stores only have apple products. Sprint stores probably have better parking and less people in line, and no apple fanboy employees to deal with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.