Buy from Apple Store or Reseller?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supercooled, Jan 24, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I bought my first Mac, a MBP from the Apple Store but the experience was neither memorable nor problematic. I am now trading in my MBP for the mac pro and the reseller is giving me a fair value. That said, are there any pitfalls from buying from Apple resellers as oppose to getting it from The Store? Warranties I imagine would be handled through the place where it was purchased?

2. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

warranties are from the manufacturer. If something goes wrong with your mac then you can either take it to the reseller or take it straight to apple. just keep your receipts in a safe place. ;)

3. blairwillis macrumors regular

Just curious, if you're in the southeast US, let me know who the reseller is. I talked to the reseller in Savannah, GA last week about trading in a MacBook Pro 17" and they offered $800. (Yes, I laughed too.)

I would expect to get a reasonable value on trade for a new machine, or at least 80% of current "retail" value, or expect to see a discount on the new machine (which we know won't happen).

Instead I'll be selling my MB through the usual channels and I won't consider buying my next machine from them.