Buy from Best Buy or Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stella, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I was thinking of buying a new Macbook Pro pretty soon. Instead of buying from Apple store I was thinking of buying from MBP since BestBuy has a pretty good returns policy. For example, if the LCD display has bad pixels, it can be returned, where as Apple Store returns policy is a bit more strict - and its the broken pixel part I'm worried about - spending >$2K on a machine, I want it perfect*. Likewise, its protection plans are better ( read: flexible ) than that of AppleCare - although a tad more expensive.

Are there any gotchas buying from BestBuy instead of Apple Store?

*Yes I know that if all LCD screens were perfect then prices would be a lot higher - but in reality, who wants even one broken pixel? No one.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I don't see anything wrong with buying from Best Buy. I would buy Applecare over the Best Buy protection plan for 2 reasons:

1. Applecare includes Technical support from Apple.
    2. Applecare on notebooks is international, so you can get support anywhere in the world.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Best Buy for purchase is ok. I too would go with AppleCare for the warranty.

Why? Have you ever tried to deal with the warranty service offered buy Best Buy/Futureshop? I have, and it was not a happy experience. There's a clause in there that says they can take 60 days to repair your unit before having to replace it, or at least there was for my extended service on an iPod. I went for more than two months without my music. Would you go 60 days without your MBP?

4. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

While I too would go with Applecare, there isn't anything wrong with Best Buys extended warranty. I bought it with a few things and have always gotten great service, especially with my dryer that broke! :)

5. samuraikiss macrumors regular

But the major benefit of the Best Buy Product Service Plan over Applecare is that you can purchase accidental damage coverage in addition to the standard service plan (dust, heat, humidity, normal wear and tear, and power surges) for two or three years. To my knowledge, Applecare does not cover damage that occurs if you drop, spill, or otherwise break your laptop.

I work at Best Buy in the computers department... can you tell?