Buy from US or Canada

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nhaque, Oct 14, 2008.

1. nhaque macrumors member

I was wondering that since the edu store in Canada only discounts $50:(, for the MB. And correct me if I'm wrong but that's still expensive than a non-discount MB from the US:confused:.
    Should I buy from the US then, what problems if any would I encouter if I buy form the US? (never bought stuff from the US ..so)

2. disco2000 macrumors newbie

I don't think you'd be able to get the US educational discount if you're going to a Canadian school.
    The Apple US store probably doesn't ship to Canada, if you get it shipped to a US address, that might save you some bucks overall, but then there's the matter of the warranty/&tc.
    Not worth the trouble, if you ask me.

3. nhaque thread starter macrumors member

either I could get help from a friend, or I could go there myself, I live in Vancouver which is pretty close. The warranty and tax part is what trouble me, do I have to pay tax when I get back, what about warranty, if I have to send it back to the states I dont think Ill buy one.

4. phuong macrumors 6502a

generally when you pass the border, they don't check you.
    but mind you, if somehow they find out what you did, even if that's 2 years later, people in uniforms will come knocking at your door. that happened to a person i know.

as for warranty, i guess you could alway say you bought it secondhand from a guy on craiglist, or something along those lines.
    but then, in order to do that, you musn't use your credit card or anything that could be traced to the original purchase

5. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

You probably won't stand to save that much money. In fact, it could end up being cheaper in Canada.

Consider this...

An entry level MB (new model) is $1299 in the US. Let's say you factor in 8% tax, you're looking at about $1400 US. The loonie is now trading at 86 cents. That means you'll be paying $1.16 Canadian for every US dollar. So your $1400 laptop, before any discount mind you, is now over $1600 Canadian.

But wait. If you're paying by credit card, VISA/MC/AMEX is gonna charge you about $1.19 for each dollar. So now that $1400 lappy is approaching the $1600 mark.

Now, back to the great white north..

That same MacBook is $1399. Let's assume a total GST/PST of 13%. You're under $1600.

It's actually cheaper to buy it in Canada, believe it or not. Things may have been different 2 weeks ago when the loonie was worth 94 cents, but the times, they are a changin'.

6. SparkyCanada macrumors member

Also, don't forget to factor in:
    1. Cost of fuel to get to the U.S.
    2. Cost of wear & tear on your vehicle if you drive
    3. Meals
    4. The value of your time for the entire trip

:)
    SparkyCanada

7. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I wouldn't bother making a special trip to the US for anything that will save me less than $300. That's my magic number, and even then I probably wouldn't bother.

8. nhaque thread starter macrumors member

i see your points (wow i didnt check the xchange rates, my bad) perhaps buying in canada is best then, saves so much headaches. thanx

9. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

You won't end up saving anything since you're in Vancouver. The cost of a round trip to the Emerald City will eat up any difference, as will a brokerage fee if shipped across the border anyway other than USPS. That last bit is just my experience with eBay though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that on high ticket items in this neck of the woods you're likely to be charged GST on declared goods. They generally let lesser items slide.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you go to the US, buy a MB, and bring back your new Apple box, you'll be paying duties.

If you go to the US, buy a MB, throw out the box, and carry your new MacBook back in your backpack, you may save money. However, you won't have your original box, and when it's time to sell that MB, your laptop will be worth a LOT less. When you sell a used laptop, people care about the original box and booklet. I don't know why, but people who keep these things in immaculate condition probably care about the little details, and may be more careful than someone who just rips it all apart and carelessly throws out the booklets and box.

It's a silly psychological thing. Anyway, keep the box! ;)

PS: The MacBook is far cheaper in Canada than in the US at today's exchange rate.