Buy G5? Hmmm.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, May 7, 2005.

  1. ITASOR macrumors 601


    Mar 20, 2005
    Hello everyone,

    I know someone that wants to buy a G5. Right now they have a G4 Quicksilver, but they really want the faster SuperDrive and processor speed for lots of iMovie-ing.

    They were going to make the purchase in the next few weeks, but they read somewhere what this page says:

    Now supposedly, the processors will have the same speed, but...the 970FX is squeezing out the power, while the 970MP actually has all the power. I guess essentially they will be close in amount of Ghz.

    Anyway, I feel that Apple is always upgrading things, and that you could just keep waiting forever and never get the product.

    What he does, mostly internet and e-mail, but he is starting to make/burn a lot of iMovie projects is not extremely CPU intensive. I don't think he will really notice a difference in the G5 out now and the one that they "think" will be out within a year-2 years. I've even read/been told to be expected to wait almost 3 years for the MP. He's also worried about the computer being outdated MUCH faster, since the 970MP is supposed to be a huge jump.

    Basically, what do you guys think about this? I wouldn't want him to buy a G5 now when the new one will be out in 2 weeks. If the wait is really long and not really worth it, I will advise him to get it soon. If the wait is long but worth it, we will have to see.

    I'm just looking for opinions! I've already talked to Apple and MacConnection, and they said around 1.5-2 years until it will actually ship. However, that was just a guess.

  2. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    It all depends on how soon your friend needs the new Mac. You are correct if you keep waiting for the latest thing you could have end up waiting forever. I have got myself in that cycle now. My wife has been after me to get a new G5 since they came out. Keep reading about something newer on the way and here I am. Chances are your friend would need the 970MP anyway.

    MacRumors is recommending to purchasing the Power Mac G5 now. See Mac Buyers guide below, scroll down.
  3. HiRez macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    Yep, invariably Macs will get eventually get faster and have more features, but beyond that never EVER count on Apple to release any specific rumored product, at some rumored price, at some rumored date, not even one they might have appeared to mention themselves. So many have been burned over the years playing the waiting game. I've learned my lesson.
  4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    Don't buy one of the new Power Macs! They are not a proper update, just a stop gap to help flagging sales because the real update is taking a little longer than expected.

    Anyone who buys one of these is really not paying attention.
  5. panda macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2004


    i don't think the last update was so small... they did quite a bit if you ask me. that said, i think there is no reason not to buy the new power macs now.

    perhaps you could explain? :)
  6. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    What would you consider a small update then?
    Because I don't think they can get any smaller. :)
  7. Chrispy macrumors 68020


    Dec 27, 2004
    I think the recent powermac update was, indeed, just a way to drive powermac sales. It was an update and one that should be noted but it was more of a price drop than anything else. If you were looking at buying a dual 2 before then now the deal is even sweeter. However, if you already own a G5 (or even a higher end G4 powermac) the update is really not enough to drive a purchase. It was an update with a price drop and that is always nice if you are in the market but if you wanted a large jump in power then the wait will continue.

Share This Page