Buy Haswell or wait for Broadwell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krzkrzkrz, Jan 1, 2015.

  1. krzkrzkrz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    #1
    So, I've been scouring the forums about Broadwell's release. And its looking to be around the time of March-July.

    I do plan on purchasing a MBP Retina (without dedicated GPU). I hear Broadwell will bring better battery life. If anything close to an hour more. But more signficantly the Broadwell MBP Retina models will be coming with a better GPU, which for my case isnt a concern.

    So if the only main difference is the 1hour+ battery life, is it worth waiting a few more months? Are there any other significant features that I should consider with the Broadwell MBP Retina relase?
     
  2. taelan28 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2014
    #2
    Buys Haswell now. They just did a mild upgrade. Broadwell is a bust. If you dont need a computer wait another 9 months. If you need one just buy it.
     
  3. krzkrzkrz thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    #3
    But before I make the decision to buy. I'd like to know what Broadwell might bring to the table. Is it just better battery life (+1 hour), and an improved dedicated graphics card?

    Or is there something else?

    Also, you said "wait another 9 months". Are you referring to the release of Retina MBP Skylake? Or suggesting that it will take 9 months until we see a Retina MBP with Broadwell?
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    See what the Broadwell wiki states

    As for buying decisions, if you need one now, get it. If you can wait at least 6 months if not longer then wait. Broadwell isn't due out until 2nd qtr 2015 and apple does not usually release their MBPs right after a chipset release do the delay will be larger then 6 months.
     
  5. G-Force macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2006
    #5
    I bought a 13" Retina yesterday. I'm pretty sure it will take quite a while before a new one arrives. Buy it is my advice if you need one now.
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    I'm doing the same thing, I'm buying a new computer, quite possibly today. While a newer one will come out later (much?) 2015. The need is higher and I feel I can enjoy the new computer now instead of waiting.
     
  7. krzkrzkrz thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    #7
    The Wiki says a lot. But was wondering what people, in the forum, are thinking of in terms of specs that COULD come out with the new line of Macbook Pro Retinas.

    Any thoughts?
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    We already have a thread (actually numerous threads) on that topic.
    What to expect from the next MBPr itteration?

    If you wish to discuss possible new designs, then use that thread.
     

Share This Page