Buy iBook G4 1.33 12" NOW? Or wait for the intel ones?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mr_Dave, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Mr_Dave macrumors newbie

    Jan 28, 2005
    Let me give you an example of my dilemma:

    I have a dual G5 at home that is MORE an adequate for my needs.. I have an iBook G3 900mhz that I use to work at the coffee shop I frequent.

    I am going to buy a new one soon -- as the G3 just isn't fast enough. I only use the Laptop for Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, and misc internet apps.

    I am trying to justify buying the G4 NOW instead of waiting. My thoughts are: I don't really use it for much, and If i have anything I need power for, I use my G5. I could suffer on the G3 for a couple months or I could buy the iBook G4 NOW and actually have a nice laptop.

    Unable to resist Instant Pleasure, Does anyone think I would REALLY regret not waiting? Will it be THAT much better? I have heard good things about the MacBook, but nothing so much that made me say "i want one NOW." Apple would also not make the iBook (intel) better than the MacBook... So I'm thinking the iBook G4 and the iBook Duo wont be far apart ("far apart" kind of like the iBook G3 i have and my G5)

    So my thoughts are Yes, it will be better than the iBook G4... but not so much better that I will cry (besides, I can always sell it for near purchase price and buy an intel one)

    Someone help me rationalize my iBook G4 Purchase!!!!
  2. MattyMac macrumors 68000


    Oct 6, 2005
    Dont Buy Yet!!!

    Dont buy it yet...especially since macbooks (revised ibooks) are due VERY soon! Perhaps even a week or so from now since apple's 30th anniversary is April 1st! Do yourself a favor and wait at least a week or two. That's just my two cents.
  3. miniConvert macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    You'd be crazy to buy now.

    Sure, it'd meet your needs just fine, but if the whole product line is moving to Intel this year, with the product you want probably migrating sooner rather than later, what's the point in buying now-outdated technology?

    I know there are no immediate issues with the PowerPC processor becoming unsupported by anything any time soon, but think to the future and hold out a little longer.
  4. Mr_Dave thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 28, 2005
    But how long till it hits the apple store?

    Ok, I'm willing to wait a couple weeks... I can wait at least untill April to see if they announce it like the rumors say. But if on April 1st they release it... how long does it usually take to get to the apple store? I don't want to buy it online.
  5. MacSA macrumors 68000


    Jun 4, 2003
    Are any of the apps you listed as using with your current laptop Universal Binaries?.. I know that Photoshop isn't, a G4 iBook might run them faster than an Intel one.
  6. Paragon macrumors member


    Mar 25, 2006
    PPC should be supported for some time to come.. iBook prices are at their lowest right now, so if you're after a side-arm for the coffee shop then I don't see much of a problem with buying an iBook G4. After all, Universal Binaries aren't covered on your software yet, you'd be able to carry on using the versions you have now, and PPC isn't obsolete (it's a field which is being modified, granted, but PPC Macs are by no means obsolete :) )
  7. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH

    my gawd, i dunno how many of these daggone threads ive seen please search the forums before you post something new on the SAME TOPIC OVER AND OVER AND OVER....... and dont say that "i couldnt find any threads" or "i have specific questions" or something to that effect, cuz its really all the same disucssion...
  8. Whistleway macrumors 6502

    Feb 16, 2005
    why are you reading it? Infact, if it bothers you, please move along..
  9. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040


    Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    Who has said anything about this? Apple has been very quiet on the issue of PPC support in the future. They could support them for 5 more years or could be done with it once all of their current products are switched to Intel. By the time 10.5 comes out all of their products should be running on Intel processors. You could say they will loose software sales if they do that, but look at all the new hardware they will sell!
  10. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2005
    It's gotta be soon that the MacBook/iBook Intel will be released. Maybe not April 1st. Maybe sooner, maybe later. But I think the PowerMac won't be the next to switch because the Quads came out soon enough ago that they are still good. So what is left? The MacBook. :) Also, think of it this way. If you wait for the Intel, you will have both chipsets (IBM and Intel).
  11. spaceballl macrumors 68030


    Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    as an owner of the model you're looking at, i wouldn't really suggest it if it's speed you're after...
  12. Paragon macrumors member


    Mar 25, 2006
    I understand this, however, baring in mind the sales that Apple had made over the course of 3/4Q last year they wouldn't dismiss so many new faces and machines within such a small timespan. Besides this is my opinion, i've no intention of passing it on as fact.

    I expect any of the next releases and installments for these machines will be backward compatible to about the G4 range, and for things beyond that, well, 'Intel-only' is just a matter of time.
  13. California macrumors 68040


    Aug 21, 2004
    I think it's entirely rational. And I think the 12" 1.33ghz iBook with 1.5gbs of ram is as fast as my 12" 1.5ghz powerbook with only 1.25gbs of ram (maxed). In fact, I'd love to see a speed test.

    But get one at edu prices. $799 at my local Uni. That way, you can always feel good about your choice.
  14. MRU Suspended


    Aug 23, 2005
    Personally, I'm in a similar situation. I have my powermac & imac, but I also have the cash to invest in a new piece of hardware. However I am waiting for the new machines that should be here or at least announced within a month. Just doesnt make financial sense to buy a struggling line of machines when new ones are around the corner. By struggling I mean, we all know the G4 is knocking on a bit at this stage....

    However there are 2 things to remember...

    The new intel macbook covers 2 bases and 2 very different price ranges. One at $999 - $1099 (current ibook price) and then $1499 or $1599 (12" powerbook price).

    The reason I've gone 99 over the current base prices is that all the intel machines so far have been moderatly more expensive than the replaced model. I expect new macbooks to do the same.

    Expect mini solo specs for the new ibook low end. 1.5 core solo, combo, 40-60gb hd, 512mb ram. Intel 945 graphics.

    Not sure how performance on such machine would compare to the current ibook with 1.33g4, 1.5gb ram. Probably not that much different.

    I really don't envision too many BTO options with the low end, simply because the higher model has to have some room to breath and fill in with current 12 powerbook specs & price.

    Top end, core duo 1.6, superdrive, 80gb hd, 512mb ram, x1600 128mb. A reasonable good boost on current 12" powerbook and enough increase spec wise to warrant the $500 difference between the models and sit between the lower macbook and the lower macbookpro 1.83 (which is $500 more again)..

    So it depends on what you want to spend. If $999 is the most you can spend the lower macbook probably wont be that much of a performance increase over the current ibook, especially if you can get it cheaper. But if you've got the extra $500 the coreduo model should be a pretty sweet ultraportable...
  15. human657 macrumors newbie

    Dec 2, 2005
    wait for the new ones, but buy an old one (when the price drops)

    sounds like you are doing most of your work on the desktop. Laptops generaly only last about 3 yrs. anyway. By that time you can get an intel refurb or used for MUCH less $$$ than now, and all the rev A kinks will be worked out. You already have all the software you need for the PPC. The G4's are great little machines (and you will notice a marked improvement over the g3 especially if you max out the ram).
  16. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 29, 2003
  17. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Well, we really don't know that, do we? Nobody is sure what is going to become of the 12" powerbook. One theory is that the MBP line will just be 15" and 17", and the MB (ibook) line will vary a lot, as you suggest.

    But it's also possible that there will be a 12 or 13" MBP, in which case the MB line would be considerably les varied. There just haven't been a lot of rumors on the subject.

    BTW, I'm using a 1.33 Ghz ibook (see sig) and it really is a great machine. But if I were in the market, I'd wait to see if the new MB had these features:
    - DVI (likely, if there's no 12/13" MBP)
    - brighter/higher res/widescreen
    - IR/Frontrow

    Other than that, I doubt there'll be too much to write home about in terms of improvements (isight doesn't do anything for me, personally). I'm sure the processor will be a lot faster, but as long as I'm running things under Rosetta, I doubt I'd see that much improvement there either.
  18. Josias macrumors 68000


    Mar 10, 2006
    You will be cocked if you buy now. You need to wait. If these dudes are right, and the Intel iBook will be a pile of sh*t, you can get a refurbished G4 after the intel comes out. Or, you can get an intel. No matter what happens, you will be dissapointed if you don't wait.
  19. yoak macrumors 65816


    Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Makes sense to wait, but then again, the waiting game is hell to play;)

Share This Page