buy ilife now or wait for snowleopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Jan 17, 2009.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

Should I get ilife now or wait until snowleopard. When should snowleopard be coming out? And does it come with ilife 09'?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're going to wait six months for an OS software that doesn't come with iLife?

Strange.

Snow Leopard will only work with Core 2 Macs and above, too, so if you don't have one, tough luck.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah... new OS releases do not include iLife.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Im going to wait for Snow Leopard to be released for two reasons:

1. To see if iLife, iWork and Snow Leopard will be offered in a bundle like what is offered at the moment with Leopard to see if I can get a discount as I'm in no hurry to get it.

2. If 1 doesn't happen, then it wont really matter as its no biggie and I will just buy everything separately, leaving me to be able to clean install the whole lot in one go when I will be doing it anyway :)

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

No, but you can buy a pack with OS X, iLife 09, iWork 09 for $169. So I wondered the same thing as to how long would have to wait for Snow Leopard to be in the box set instead of Leopard.

I figured if I could wait a month and get Snow Leopard, iWork 09, and iLife 09 for $169. It's over a 40% savings.

If it is going to be six months before Snow Leopard, than I will buy the box set with Leopard at the end of January. Then when Snow Leopard is released buy that. For $229, can get a family pack and install the OS and both apps on up to five computers.

Great deal. Surprise from Apple. Best part of MacWorld.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I presume this is pure speculation presented as fact?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, based on what we've seen in betas and been told about the OS.

8. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Now you've had some pretty crazy predicitions, but I think this one takes the cake. You can't honestly tell me you think that Apple would release a product that was not only not compatible with PowerPC Macs (which is at least believable), but also the first generation Intel Core Duo systems that were part of the initial Intel Macs.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

So wouldn't it be more accurate to write

Snow Leopard may only work with Core 2 Macs and above...

;)

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We've been told that Snow Leopard is a 64-bit OS. Core Solo/Duo chips are 32-bit chips. Core 2 Duo chips are 64-bit chips. Nehalem is 64-bit.

There is a 32-bit compatibility layer in the betas of Snow Leopard, existing, I believe, because:

1. Apple hasn't finished porting everything to 64-bit yet.
    2. The beta runs on all Intel processors, meaning they knew that they didn't have everything done in 64-bit yet and so gave 32-bit users a chance to debug for a wider base of use.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's still speculation though.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would find it strange for Apple to all of a sudden ship iLife and iWork with an OS update.

Here is the deal. You buy a new computer. This computer on average will be used for 3-4 years. In that time 2 or 3 OS updates will come out and new versions of the iApps will also be released. Including them on in the OS update would totally negate the the reason for selling it separately and subsequently it will be like Apple giving away the iApps or a $160 increase to the cost of the update.

OS 10.6 ~ $129 + iLife ~ $79 + iWork ~ $79 = $287

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm purchasing the MBP when SL comes out. Assuming history repeats itself, any new Mac will have the OS + the latest iLife ('09). I don't need it, so I will just wait and use my MacBook. Still a great performing machine, though. Anyway, you could wait, but you might end up with buying it separately. If you need it, then buy it. If you want it, then wait.

14. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Go ahead and buy it now. There is no guarantee apple will offer the same OS/iWork/iLife package once 10.6 is released. Besides, if you need it now then it's probably worth the few extra bucks to use it for the next 6 months.

15. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I'd been holding out and running Tiger for a while longer, hoping that Apple would announce a near release date for Snow Leopard at MW2009. Well, I didn't get that, but we did get a box set with iLife iWork an Leopard. I'm ordering mine this week. Family pack of both suites plus the OS for only 229! I might have kept waiting, but how freaking cool is "faces" in the new iPhoto?

I say get it now. SL may be out this year, but it will probably be a while.