Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Hi to all. I was waiting for the MacBook to release but due to its "delays" I've had time to think if I really need a laptop. My actual laptop (not mac) uses to be always on the desktop; I only move it to, for example, the living room to see a movie or something. So I definitely changed my mind and decided to get an iMac by July.
My question is: is that a good moment to buy an iMac? I've heard things about new intel processors but I'm not exactly an expert, so I just don't get it. Would you recomend me to wait or should I buy the iMac in July? Please, don't tell me to wait until 2007 or something, I need the new computer for september. Thanks!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
There is rarely a "moment" to wait for, because things in the technology market progress so quickly. If you need the iMac by September, then just buy it when you need it. There is always the chance that if you wait, you may a get a newer model with a faster processor - it's a never ending cycle. If you are comfortable will the iMac's specs at the time of purchasing, then you should have nothing to worry about. Even if a newer model is released, your computer will still be just as useful. :)

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I would expect a small update within 3-4 months since it has almost been 5 months since it was updated last.

Gatorman

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2002
Florida
Now's a great time to buy. I don't think there be any great overhall in the near future. If you don't need it right now and can hold out until September, I'd wait to see what happens at the WWDC in August. You might see a slight speed bump or some sort of add on (maybe). That's what happened to me when I got my Powermac G4. I was impatient and ordered it the week before the expo, and they had a speed bump increase and included the pro keyboard.

That's why, even though it's killing me, I'm waiting until August before I buy my Macbook Pro. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I see a Merom in that bad boy! :D

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
thanks for that. i guess i'll see what happens in wwdc. i wouldnt like to buy something that's going to be improved by a month or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.