buy iMac in Shenzhen, China

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by septi, Jan 1, 2010.

1. septi macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just arrive in Shenzhen, China for a long term job and planning to switch to Mac. :)
    So I decided to buy a desktop instead of laptop since I'm not mobile too much.

Do you guys out there had any experience to buy iMac, MBP in China, specially in Shenzhen ? I do plan to buy here since I heard if I buy in HK, when you bring it to China, you'll get a tax for it.:eek:

Thanks in advance,
    septi

2. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

Just go to HuaQiangBei. It has a metro stop. There are many resellers in various buildings on the street. You might pay a little more or the same as the US, but it will be cheaper than buying from one of the mall electronic stores or the Beijing Apple Store. We bought an AL MacBook.

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

If you buy it in Hong Kong, there's no way they can charge you tax for that.

Put it in your suitcase, and they won't be able to prove that you bought it in Hong Kong at all.

4. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I have heard it is way cheaper to buy in HK than in mainland. if u dont mind hauling the big boy, i would suggest buying in HK.

5. septi thread starter macrumors newbie

anybody know exactly the size of the box of iMac 21" ? need to prepare a correct suitcase ;)

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I would suggest buying in Hong Kong as well. You figured that since the Macs are assembled in China it would be cheaper... Last time I was in China all computer prices are way higher than U.S.. Hong Kong is more expensive than U.S. but not as bad as mainland China prices. So yeah go grab the largest suitcase.

p.s. Since you are already in China it is a bit late but if I were you I would have bought a MBP in the U.S. and took it with you to China. Notebooks generally get the benefit of the doubt and you won't get hit with import duties as they are personal items.

7. gbudel macrumors newbie

Can you let me know if you bought the imac in HK and how it went at the customs? I am living in Guangzhou and also planning of switching to an Imac and i want to buy it in HK but i heard if they catch you at customs it will cost lots of money

8. EdDigitalMac macrumors newbie

Long time lurker and 1st time poster.

Been a mac user for many years and saw this thread and since I'm base in China for the last 5 years thought I would share my 0.2 cent.

Buying Mac from China is more expensive (yes eventhou it's made here) as they are send back to the States to be activated and also the tax.

However, for iMac, if you buy in HK it will be much cheaper but not worth it as it will not be warranty in China as all desktop Apple computers are local warranty (meaning it will only be warranty in country you bought it). I know cause unfortunately I had this experience where I bought my iMac from HK and had some screen issues and when I wanted to get it fix in Shenzhen, I was told it's not allowed and I had to send it back to HK.

Also when bringing in via Shenzhen, the custom will tax you...can't remember the exact amount but there is a tax levied, which works out to similar pricing as those in Shenzhen.

If you wanna buy from HK, get a MacBookPro or MacBook as laptops are International warranty and if something goes wrong, you can get it repair in China.

Cheers...

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You can't get cheap pineapples or sugar in Hawaii either since all the raw materials are shipped to California for processing and then back to Hawaii for sale!

10. gbudel macrumors newbie

But if you take apple care it says you have global repair so that should solve that problem.

The tax part is my main concern, i know when you take a backpack who isn't that big, they wont check the bag most of the time. But its a risk. Does anybody know how much they will charge at the border?

11. EdDigitalMac macrumors newbie

All backpack will have to be scan so YES the chances of getting caught is pretty high. :rolleyes:

Not sure about Apple Care for global repairs for desktop thou... why not simply get a portable MacBook or MacBookPro from HK as solve all your issues :confused:

The border checks are pretty strict (fro what I see) as it's high traffic and people tend to try to smuggle things through all the time. Each time I pass through the custom, I can always see them opening up people's bags, etc :eek:

12. almicaol macrumors newbie

did you buy the imac. where?

Hello Septi,
    I am in the exact same situation. came to SZ and would like to buy an imac. what did you end up doing? any tips from your experience?
    I was in HK yesterday but the box is way to big and even the salesman told me they would tax me in China. apparently 20%... not sure.
    did you buy one in Huaqiangbei? I have not been there yet...
    Thanks!