Buy iMac now or later?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by glndi, Jan 23, 2012.

1. glndi macrumors newbie

I'm a self-employed graphic designer and my 6-yr-old Desktop Pro died. I'm now working from a macbook (not even a Pro:). Obviously, I need a new computer sooner than later.

I'm interested in the iMac. Yet the buyers guide says to wait, that, according to history, it may be coming out with its next model in 1-3 months. Any guestimation on the accuracy of such reports? And will the new iMacs be worth the wait?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ivy Bridge is supposed to hit between April/May and soon after that apple should have a refresh. The question is can you way 5 - 7 months for the iMac line to be updated?

Sounds like you have a need now and you'll be better served buying one now

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'll just repeat the old adage of "If you need one now, buy now. If you can wait, then wait."

4. yashi macrumors member

Based on your situation, buy now for sure. Take advantage of savings here if you can.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yes.

Check out the refurbished link on the apple store. Buy it if you want it...

6. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Didn't Apple update the Mac Pro with processors before they went on general release? Is it possible the same could happen for an iMac refresh?

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Being a "self-employed graphic designer", I'd get your business to buy it NOW. Since time is money and you need a fast tool, I'd buy now. Remember to add 2+ months after the new iMac models are released and folks provide their feedback. Then, I'd re-evaluate one's situation then. For example, what if you do wait 5-6 months and the next iMacs have too many bugs. One might need to wait an additional 2-3 (4+) months for patches and fixes. Thus, one is really waiting 10 months from today. Since "time is money" with any business, I'd buy now. Then, re-evaluate later..

8. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

If you need a new machine buy one. If you don't, don't. The refresh will make things a bit better, but not good enough to make several mac free months worthwhile.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If your machine is just starting to fall behind, you can often compensate by adjusting your settings and quitting out anything that bogs down the system. Working smarter can extend the usable life of a computer especially when you feel it's close to refresh time. In the OP's case, I might say to make an exception depending on the configuration of his machine. Graphic design isn't too brutal on a machine. Adobe stuff can bog down no matter what, but he's most likely noticing the effect of laptop hard drives mapped as scratch disks. With the mac pro it may have not felt quite as bad.