Buy iMac now or wait until June?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by febreezy, May 11, 2009.

  1. febreezy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 11, 2009
    #1
    I am going to buy a 24'' iMac, but what are the odds of a product refresh or redesign in June? The iMac updates in March were minor. I really don't want to drop $2300 and have them release a Quad core iMac next month. :confused:
     
  2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

    michael.lauden

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    #2
    please use the search function here on MR. there are about 100 other threads talking about 'buy now or wait' especially for the iMac.

    June (if you have read the forums) is the period when they usually refresh the iPhone.

    go ahead and look at their product cycle.

    there have been many debates on this subject so MRoogle it or Google it

    IMO go ahead and buy now unless you want to wait another 6 or 7 months
     
  3. stormtroopar macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    #3
    I am sort of in the same boat. Want to get an iMac or 'maybe' a Mac Pro for the quad / octa core and expandability. I doubt there will be an iMac update in June as the other person already mention usually that is not their product cycle (and way too soon just after a refresh), iMac updates could come in fall / end of year, which for me is still not worth it to buy it now if there really would be one coming this fall or end of year (given how small the last update was...)

    Plus for me the chance of an iMac with a quad core proc is worth the wait. If you really need a machine now and need to get work done with it, then I say you can still get the latest iMac right now.. if you really need it. But if you can hold out, maybe wait and see (knowing!! there might not be an update that soon OR there wouldn't be a big update like quad core.. etc either if there was one)
     
  4. mstam macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
  5. febreezy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 11, 2009
    #5
    It just seems that by next Fall the iMac will be behind in terms of processor power. Wouldn't it be smart for them to unveil Snow Leopard with a faster iMac in June?
     
  6. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #6
    One thing, do you really need that extra power?

    It took almost half year from first rumors to the update last time so in my opinion don't wait. Of course you can keep waiting and waiting but with that logic you should never buy anything because it's possible that the price will go down or it'll get an update.
     
  7. dubhe macrumors 65816

    dubhe

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Norwich, UK
    #7
    The iMac and Mac mini will not be updated in June, if you want one buy now :)
     
  8. bigwig macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2005
    #8
    Unless you have to, I wouldn't buy in June even if they did upgrade the iMac. I'm waiting for mobile Nehalem, which will upgrade everything except the Mac Pro.
     
  9. Hugh macrumors 6502a

    Hugh

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2003
    Location:
    Erie, PA
    #9
    Too close.

    It's just too close for a refresh. If they do a refresh this year (a took a year for this refresh), it will be in the fall. Snow most likely will not be out until Sept or Oct. June is just going to show the new iPhone and what has been done to Snow.

    Hugh
     
  10. mastershakess macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Bel Air, MD
  11. dubhe macrumors 65816

    dubhe

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Norwich, UK
    #11
    You could always wait for the next update. Best rule is buy now if it does what you need and it has been updated recently (Last few months) as apple is more unlikely to upgrade at less than about 6 monthly intervals.
     
  12. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #12
    What's Intel's roadmap on Mobile Nehalem processors?

    Obviously Apple can't release an updated iMac until Intel themselves release an updated CPU ;)

    From Wikipedia:

     
  13. wesleyh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    #13
    Who knows, perhaps we will finally seen an imac with desktop components. As it is now, it cannot compete.

    Apple released the last imac g5 in december 2005, and then went on to release the intel platform in january 2006, so I see no reason why the march update could not be considered a bridge update as well.
     
  14. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #14
    I've heard of that. Please tell us more!
     

Share This Page