Buy Imac now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by staradder, Oct 25, 2011.

1. staradder, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

staradder macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

Big fan of the site. Ive been developing iphone apps on my mac mini just to give a go incase i may end up not liking it. Turns out i love it. But my mac mini just does not have enough juice for my 27" monitor and photoshop stutters quite abit.

I really want to upgrade to an Imac but I really would love your opinion first.
    Recently the MBP got hidden revisions and could the same happen to the Imac anytime soon? My personal prediction is that it would be delayed to June because of ivy delay but well i dont know anything so =,=.

Is the lag of my mac mini caused by the 2.4ghz core 2 duo or its 2gb ram? Would upgrading the ram solve the problem? All your input is greatly valued. Thank you!

Edit: Also to add, the buying guide in this website mentioned that the Imac was going to end its cycle which was another reason why i am considering not buying.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would max out the RAM first; do it yourself to save money.

The quiet updates on the MBP were very small cpu bumps plus bigger HDDs and a GPU bump on the 15/17"s. That doesn't translate to much difference.

3. ezdz macrumors newbie

If Photoshop is your bottleneck then it may be the GPU not the CPU. Does your mini have the intel integrated GPU? If so, the AMD GPU in the imac will probably do a much better job.

4. radek42 macrumors regular

It's most likely RAM. 8GB is pretty cheap these days ... it will help greatly. CPU should be fine ...

Cheers, R>

5. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I'm 95% sure that your problem is memory. I have a 2010 MBP 13" with the same proc. However, I have 8 GB and I have no problems.

Photoshop CS4/CS5 can be real hogs. You will probably have CS5, bridge and adobe open at the same time and in my experience, you really do need 4 GB of system memory as a start for photoshop to work smoothly.