Buy iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stacycris, Apr 21, 2015.

  1. stacycris macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2015
    #1
    I just ordered a 21.5" iMac yesterday to replace my 2009 MBP (which has gotten VERY slow on me). Should I cancel the order and wait to see if a new version is announced at WWDC? Not sure what the probability of that happening is...but either way a new computer will be a major upgrade for me! Just wanted to get opinions; what would you do?

    Thanks!
     
  2. mlody macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Location:
    Windy City
    #3
    if you need a basic computer for things like Internet and e-mail, I would say just keep it. If you are demanding user, waiting for a refresh may pay off.
     
  3. Liffey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    #4
    There won't be a new one at WWDC. 21.5" version of Retina at best, and I doubt they'd even bother to announce that. New one will likely be in the fall, at the iPhone or iPad conference.

    If you really need it now go ahead and keep it. It will serve you well. But if you can squeeze more juice out of it, waiting is sometimes worthwhile just to get the most for your money.
     
  4. KiXeR macrumors member

    KiXeR

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #5
    Why not? Broadwell will be out and latest rumors are that Skylake will be released in June, K-line CPUs (desktop). http://www.pcfrm.com/intel-core-i7-6700k-haziran-ayinda-geliyor/


     
  5. loekf macrumors 6502

    loekf

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2015
    Location:
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    #6
    Wrt technology you are always running behind from the moment you bought something.

    WWDC is a software conference. I don't expect new iMacs in June, because the introduction of Skylake will likely also bring DDR4, maybe faster Thunderbolt and (bigger maybe) USB type-C connectors.

    More likely is an intro in September/October when also the new iPhone and iPads are announced.

    I also think Apple should stop shipping iMacs with a regular HDD by default and only do > 1 TB fusion or SSD. Preferably NVMM SSDs only. Charging $500/EUR. 500 for 500 GB and $1000/EUR. 1000 for 1 TB is way too much.
     
  6. KiXeR macrumors member

    KiXeR

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #7
    If we look back http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac . There have been releases in June 2010 and May 2011, it´s not impossible that we´ll see updates in June/July. Non retina iMacs run @ old hardware and needs to be updated.

     
  7. stacycris thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2015
    #8
    A very good point! No matter when you buy something, the next big thing is just around the corner :)

    That was one reason I thought about waiting. I decided to upgrade to the 1TB Fusion. I feel like when Apple does update the iMacs (I would assume this year, whether summer or fall) Fusion will be the default. And if they keep their same pricing strategy I probably could have saved myself $200.

    I'm a pretty basic user. I really don't do any gaming and hardly any photo/video editing. So while waiting for the next release would give me the better computer, I may not really even get that much more benefit out of it.

    Thanks all for the replies so far! I am thinking I will stick with it and not regret it. I suppose I still have 14 days to return it once I receive it, but I don't think that will be necessary.
     
  8. fathergll macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    #9
    If you're a pretty basic user I would re-install the OS and maybe add in additional RAM if the MBP isn't maxed out. Look for reasons as to why your MBP is slow.

    It's true the current iMac would be fine for you but I'd hate to skip out on a Retina model since the computer screen is basically a major thing and to skip out on it isn't worth it IMO if there is a good chance of a release this year. I would definitely hold off if you can until the fall at the very least.
     
  9. stacycris thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2015
    #10
    Yes, a potential Retina display would probably be the one thing that would steer me towards waiting. I'm sure the displays on the current iMacs are quite nice, but can't compare to Retina! My iMac has shipped as of last night, so I still may decide to return it once it gets here next week. But if I keep it (leaning that way) I think I will be still be quite happy with my new machine. Of course I probably would also be face-palming in a few months if Apple updates the 21.5" with Retina display :)

    Thanks for the advice!
     
  10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

    MartinAppleGuy

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2013
    #11
    The updated MacBook Airs at the 2013 WWDC and unveiled the Mac Pro in 2013 too, completely possible.
     
  11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #12
    If you can wait, wait. If you need it now, buy it.
     
  12. PseudoPacifist macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Location:
    Oregon
    #13
    Dude get the 27" its $300.00 off at best buy right now.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-27-imac-all-in-one-computer-8-gb-memory-1-tb-hard-drive/5852008.p?id=1218695416606&skuId=5852008
     
  13. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #14
  14. PseudoPacifist macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Location:
    Oregon
    #15
    Yeah I hear you...I hate buying something that will be outdated in a few months. I would buy the 27" iMac if I could use it as an additional monitor for any PC - but apparently you can't. You have to have thunderbolt to thunderbolt for it to work. Which means you can only use the 27" iMac as a secondary display for another Mac/macbook with a thunderbolt port.
     

Share This Page