Buy iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gudbjargarson, Mar 2, 2007.

  1. gudbjargarson macrumors newbie

    Feb 22, 2007
    I know that it is a impossible question to ask but I'm going to ask anyway :)

    I have been planning for some time now to buy a iMac 24" (I'm currently a Windows user). I decided about 2 weeks to wait for the next generation of iMac or at least for the Leopard update but I'm starting to think that a new upgrade might not be until this summer with possible delay like happens in this industry. I know the Buyer's guide says "Don't buy" and replacement for the iMac is within 2 weeks but I find that hard to believe. What do you guys and girls think?

    Also if there will be a upgrade in the next few months will we be seeing a significant upgrade in specs?

  2. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a


    Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    Nobody can see the future on these baords. If you "need" it now for work, go for it. If you'd like a new OS with your 24, then wait a few weeks. That simple, IMHO.
  3. Thanatoast macrumors 65816


    Dec 3, 2002
    I don't think you'll be disappointed if you buy now. Leopard looks to be a ways out, and even if it comes sooner than expected (within two months) you'll stil have a shiny new Mac to console you.
  4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    London Town
    I would like to say wait if you can, but absolutely nothing seems to be moving on the Mac front at all :( :confused:
  5. acoustics940 macrumors member

    Dec 14, 2006
  6. richard4339 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 6, 2006
    iMac updates (based on the average refresh times) should be coming soon. If you need it now, buy it. If you can wait, it's probably worth your money.
  7. dirtleg macrumors member

    Jan 19, 2006
    St. Louis
    I will be upgrading in the not to distant future. Our current Mac is a G3 iMac, so we have been waiting for some time already. We are waiting for Leopard to be released. I am making the assumption that there will be some sort of hardware upgrade to coincide with the release of 10.5. I think it is just to good an opportunity for Apple to pass on by not making a big splash with the release of a 'new' operating system.

    That said, we will upgrade to what ever iMac 10.5 happens to be loaded. And we will be happy with that for another 4 or 5 years. :D
  8. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    I would expect about 4-5 months til an update. That is awhile, I would buy now even if I hadn't back in october. It is never a bad time to buy a Mac. (unless you were to buy a PowerMac G5 in the first week of August 2006)
  9. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular


    Oct 26, 2004
    I'm thinking there will be a summertime refresh to the iMac lineup (maybe June or so). That may seem a long way off, but I think the update should be worth the wait. Likely we'll see a significant processor and graphics update by that time, as well as more memory, larger hard drives, etc. And don't forget that Leopard will come pre-installed.

    Plus it may just get a redesign in addition to a refresh of the specs ... in addition to maybe there being a black one ...
  10. jonharris200 macrumors 6502


    Feb 25, 2006
    London, UK
    Given today's news about Leopard's long list of known issues, I'd go right ahead and buy if you feel you'll put it to good use.

    I reckon it will be at least June until both the pieces you might wish for (Leopard and new iMac models) fall into place.

    I'm practising what I preach, I just bought a MacBook, no regrets. :)
  11. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Buy it now if you need it, wait if you want it.

    That's the best advice you can get really, and you know you only want it, because nobody needs a Mac.
  12. bananaquit macrumors member

    Jan 27, 2007
    Well...when I read this thread I decided to wait...another hour...then ordered my 20. I fell into the "need" category. What a relief!
  13. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

    Oct 25, 2005
    You will not be dissapointed. You can always upgrade the operating system later.

Share This Page