Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tamim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I saw that there was no IMAC update on the 15th. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch imac but not sure if this is the right time to do so. Should I wait for some more time or just get it now ? I think there might be an update soon but I believe it won't be anything significant.. only some minor speed bumps.

Also, I'd like to add 1 gb ram to the Imac and think that buying the ram from Apple would be more expensive. Any suggestions on this ?

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Hi,
There's a (long) thread on whether or not to buy right now in the iMac conference. It comes down to: Do you need it right now? Personally I'm getting a new iMac tomorrow morning at the local Apple Store. Others are waiting for an upgrade, which if it comes, will probably be minor. So how lucky do you feel? :D
As for memory, either Crucial or OWC seem to be the top vote-getters here. I went with Crucial (http://www.crucial.com) as a 4GB kit for iMac was $112. OWC is probably a few bucks cheaper. Stay away from anything much cheaper as you may get what you pay for. Lots of places on the web show you how to install the memory, even Apple's support page. Make sure you use the right sized Phillips screwdriver and put a towel down to protect the display. Good Luck!
Morod

billmister

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Buying it now or 8 years from now, there will always be something newer comming out!

BUY the iMac NOW. whether it's the new aluminum looking iMac or the white one, you'll be making a great purchase!

As for ram. You can get it for cheaper else where. Like newegg and.. i forget the other site macshop or something. That's where i got my ram. GREAT PRICE and works EXCELLENT!!!

GL.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
I saw that there was no IMAC update on the 15th. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch imac but not sure if this is the right time to do so. Should I wait for some more time or just get it now ? I think there might be an update soon but I believe it won't be anything significant.. only some minor speed bumps.

Also, I'd like to add 1 gb ram to the Imac and think that buying the ram from Apple would be more expensive. Any suggestions on this ?

1. iMacs were just updated this past August, don't expect an update until maybe May or later.

2. Buy your RAM from OWC, lifetime warranty etc., and besides, you can trade in your RAM from your iMac and get cash back.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
I saw that there was no IMAC update on the 15th. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch imac but not sure if this is the right time to do so. Should I wait for some more time or just get it now ? I think there might be an update soon but I believe it won't be anything significant.. only some minor speed bumps.....

See here: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

It says "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" right next to the iMac.

As the saying goes, If you need it now then buy it now. If you want the latest and greatest then wait awhile.

tamim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
thanks

u guys r right. now or never. I'm getting one tonight. I'm thinking about going down to an apple store instead of all that online shopping trouble. Futureshop sells Imacs too. Any advantage I'd get by buying online ?

Chris204

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
I'd personally stay away from Future Shop when it comes to buying any computer. I bought mine online from Apple on Tuesday night myself.

tamim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
what's wrong with Futureshop ? I'll be getting the Imac with the stock configuration and so I don't think there is any advantage in ordering online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.