Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
I'm currently trying to decide, like many people, between the new imac 20inch G5 2.0ghz or the powermac dual 2.0. Here is my situation. I'm do a lot of photo editing and printing, sometimes with huge film scan files around 600mb. Right now I'm using a friends computer so I don't have a monitor either. The trouble I'm having with my decision is the overheating issues I continually read about with the imac and if it's trying to handle these huge file sizes along with editing in photoshop I bet the processor will be getting really hot. The thing that attracts me to the imac though is the portability, because I will possibly be moving a couple times within the year. I like the power of the powermac, but the dual 2.0 has been out since 2003, I'm starting to think it'll be outdated in a year since we are so close to the dual core switch, and the powermac will be 2/3 the size or possibly 1/2. I guess I have the option of selling it on ebay.The powermac will cost a little more, and since I'm on a budget, I probably will have to get a crt, because I need good quality at a low price, maybe the IBM c220p, it weighs 67lbs though, so then I'll have 2 big future paperweights. Does anyway have some helpful suggestions? Also, does anyone know if the imac display is the same as the powerline apple displays, or a cheaper version?

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
NSiebenmor said:
I like the power of the powermac, but the dual 2.0 has been out since 2003, I'm starting to think it'll be outdated in a year since we are so close to the dual core switch

I don't do nearly the processing you are proposing, so I can't comment on the overheating issue, but your above reasoning seems a bit odd. If you are worried that a dual 2.0 will be outdated soon (an argument you seem to be making against the PM), shouldn't you be even more worried that the single 2.0 iMac will be outdated in the same time frame?

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
mcmav37 said:
I don't do nearly the processing you are proposing, so I can't comment on the overheating issue, but your above reasoning seems a bit odd. If you are worried that a dual 2.0 will be outdated soon (an argument you seem to be making against the PM), shouldn't you be even more worried that the single 2.0 iMac will be outdated in the same time frame?

Very true. The only thing that attracts me to the imac is the size. But I'm worried about future problems it may have from the heat issue.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I don't know about the iMac's having a lot of overheating problems, I have heard some noisy fan issues on some models, but none that overheated and burned out. Mine runs great, never had any problems with my 1.8 overheating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.