Buy iMac RAM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raffinux, Oct 8, 2007.

1. raffinux macrumors newbie

Hi all,

my first post :)
    I'm thinking to buy a new iMac 2.4 Ghz 24" and I would like to know weather it is convenient to buy it with 1Gb of RAM and buy later 2x2Gb RAM from a cheaper reseller or not.

The website reports that the RAM on the iMac is SDRAM DDR2 667 MHz (PC2-5300). Do you know what is a good but not too expensive brand for RAM which is compatible with the iMac and where I can buy it?
    Also, the memory of the iMac are the same for the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini or they are different?

Thanks for your help

2. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

welcome aboard...there's been about a million threads about this same thing, give or take....here are your answers none the less:

that is the best and cheapest way of doing it....everyone here will agree that buying ram from apple is like getting raped...

correct.

OWC found at http://www.macsales.com/

more specifically here: http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=272&type=Memory&TI=3623&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

they are the same...

no problem bro...

3. raffinux thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right about the million of threads. I had a look at them now.
    Thanks anyway for the very fast answer :)
    I just hope to don't encounter crashes due to memory issues ;)

Cheers

4. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Search "Rember" on Google, it's a memory testing software for the Mac. Plus, Rember is free, so test your memory and if it doesn't work, send it back.

Oh and Frys.com has some pretty cheap ValueRAM from Corsair (a company I trust).

5. rallycars macrumors member

I can't believe it isn't always the top five threads at any given moment.

6. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm upgrading the memory in my iMac can anyone suggest a good RAM brand?

I was thinking or buying (2x 1GB SoDIMM) either OCZ, GeiL, Mushkin or Corsair memory, will any of these brands be a good choice or not?

7. redraidermacman macrumors regular

i used owc, put 2x2gb in my imac and 1x2gb in my wifes macbook, works pretty well and even with regular shipping got here in one day......

8. Angrist macrumors 6502

Crucial ... always Crucial for me. Even in the HTPC, which would probably be perfectly happy with a random brand from newegg.

9. raysmd macrumors member

10. raffinux thread starter macrumors newbie

...and what is the result? random crashed and instability or fast and smooth as a charm? :D

11. raysmd macrumors member

works great. BTW, most generic RAM uses micron (Crucial) or Samsung chips. anyway Corsair is not a small generic brand.

12. Gherkin macrumors 6502

My iMac only goes up to 3 GB accepted.

What's the cheapest place to get a 1 GB stick and a 2 GB stick? OCZ has 2 GB stick for $94 and 1 GB for $32. I'm looking at Frys.com, but can't tell which RAM to get for an iMac.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely a total of 2GB will be fine until the prices of RAM skyrocket. :p

Unless you are running Photoshop or the Pro apps. All you need to do is add enough memory whack the pageouts to zero.

Either christmas will see some screaming deals with $50 2GB notebook dimms or a northward movement.

14. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I'm looking to upgrade to the 3 GB capacity now. I'm buying Adobe CS 3 tomorrow, I want my iMac loaded with RAM.

I should wait for holiday season deals? If it's only like $40, I'd rather just buy now.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I've seen current sales dipping down to $75 locally very recently for 2GB notebook dimm that works in Macs.

So christmas deals may be really screaming, but they may try to foist wireless mice/keyboard/game controllers off on you instead of memory.

If you need it now, buy it.

16. mavherzog macrumors 6502

The most CONVENIENT approach is to BTO with 4GB of ram from Apple. However, that ALSO equates to the most expensive. ;)

17. ahoegh macrumors newbie

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/34970...M-Upgrade-For-Apple-iMac-MacBook/Product.html

This one will. If you have any doubts, Kingston's got a smart online advisor at their website. I know that they have a 2 GB module that they recommend for iMac and I bet that it is the one above, but check for yourself. I ordered Kingston in the first place, but the shop didn't have any in stock, so I bought Corsair instead.

18. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i want to get a 4gb kit. i have purchased from OWC, DMS, and Memory to go in the past. Memory to go has 3 different kits ranging in price. what's the difference for the price. Am I going to notice it?