Buy iMac27-512 or base 15 non retinaMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blake.bang, Jul 10, 2013.

1. blake.bang macrumors member

Hello,
    I have a very peculiar problem. I am currently on my maxed-out (from back then) Unibody Macbook and have decided on an upgrade to a quad core.

I currently have to purchase a new battery for the Uni, a new pair of speakers 'cause these are blown, a fan cause this one goes up and down without notice, so I will do all this within a span of three to four months as the components are shipped and I install them. I will be using the Unibody asan MBA. I have currently installed 8Gigs of RAM and am in the process of acquiring a Crucial M4 SSD.

The issue is that, right now, and up until the next three years (or 4), I'm in India, and I need a home computer which should last another four years or more.
    In India, all I can do is purchase the base model for all computers, so I can't max out stuff as I can do in the online store in the US.

I'm in a fix deciding between the 15 inch base 2.3gighz quad cMBP w/4gigs of RAM and the 27 inch iMac base with 512 graphics card. They are both exactly the same price here and I don't want to spend more on a computer.
    These will be used at home 5-10 hours a day as I work from home many days of the week.

I can trick out the i7 MBP to 16Gigs/SSD but all I can do is Max out RAM in the iMac and I can't do ***** about the i5 or the 1TB drive; they stay.
    Also, I think I'm being speculatative(?) here, but is the cMBP gonna be phased out this year?

Which do I go for, and why?

P.S.: I plan to buy over the weekend.

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

You go for the MBP if you want to move your computer around at all. If not you go for iMac.

the cMBP will probably go bye-bye during the Haswell release, or the Haswell will be the last release.

3. blake.bang thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Also, what is your input on the Upgradeable to SSD 500gig 5400 vs 1TB 7200 drive, if you bring sustainability in the long run, into view?