Buy in store advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spadeychops, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Spadeychops macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm visiting Vegas from the UK on 20th August for just a few days and I'm planning on picking up a new rMBP 2.6GHz, however I'd really like to upgrade the ram from 8gig to 16.
    At the moment, you cannot pre-order these machines for store-pickup, so I'm restricted to a walk in & pick up...
    So firstly - are stores in the US yet holding stock for walk in customers? (I see the order on-line option is still 3-4 weeks).
    What do you think my chances are of getting a 16gig one are (which is custom order) or will stores in the US only hold stock of the 8gig.
    Or do you think the Apple will enable pre-orders online for pick-up instore before my trip in August?!
    Thanks...

2. macjolt macrumors member

As far as holding stock, it's basically YMMV. There were 2 stores completely sold out and 2 stores with plenty in stock in a 15 mile radius near where I live. Your best bet would be to call on the day you plan on picking up.

As far as models go, one of the stores I went to carried both the 8GB and 16GB models. One of the stores only had the 8GB.

Best of luck!

3. Spadeychops thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for speedy reply MacJolt. You have at least given me comfort that some of the USA stores are holding both 8 & 16gig configurations as base stock items (even if they are out of stock!)

Reading some of the delivery threads it appears orders are slowly beginning to catch up, so I'm hoping that by late August things will settle.

Cannot wait to get my hands on one! :)

4. macjolt macrumors member

You can also check retail outlets such as BestBuy to see if they have stock as well.

5. Spadeychops thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - Good tip. :)

Has anyone from the UK tried to do this - i.e. just walk in and pick one up. Anything I should be concerned about.

Does anyone know what in-store stock levels like at the moment?

Many thanks