Buy in store without canceling pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VTAb182, Jun 27, 2010.

1. VTAb182 macrumors regular

I have a pre-order through apple for the 14th ship date. Can I go in to AT&T on the 29th and buy an iphone for the full discounted price without canceling the pre-order, as not to loose my place if I don't get one in person? Or will it show up at the store as not eligible for upgrade?

2. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering the same...

I saw something last week about somebody in this situation and they claimed they got an iphone in person then received an email from apple when their online order was being fulfilled that it's been cancelled either because one was already purchased or they put in duplicate orders.

3. thatsmyaibo macrumors regular

Your upgrade status will be tied to the online order. I had to pay full price in-store and when I went to cancel my online order, it had shipped a week early. Also, your account will be parked to the iPhone coming from the online store so you may have to call AT&T and have them get your ICID and IMEI info to activate your phone.

It's a PITA process but I would do it again =)

4. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I have an online order in and I checked my upgrade eligibility and it says I am still eligible.

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I would just wait. Hopefully the July 14th ones are upgraded to work properly

6. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

an online apple rep told me that I can pre-order and if i find one in store before it ships that I can cancel. Technically, at least from apple, they don't charge until it ships so you haven't upgraded until you've paid for it. Now I don't know what would happen if you buy one and later that day it ships. Are both the discounted price? or does one charge you the higher price?

Jim Rome mentioned on his radio show how he paid ebay price to get one on launch day and when he received it, I assumed unopened, it was still tied to the lady that sold it to him until he got a new sim card for it. s

7. fuseone macrumors member

Ok I had the same question because i had it for the july 14th date but i went in to the store and bought one on the 25th at apple store. Apple didnt know att told me as long as it shows up on there computer that you are. just do the *new# on your phone and see what it says if it says you are able to under the new 2 year conntract you are still able to. just make sure you cancel the preorder right away after you get it because if they decided to ship it out then it charges you full price on that order.

8. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Not a problem for me

I had a pre-order in for the July 14th ship date, but just couldn't wait that long! :D

So I went to an Apple Store on day 2 to wait in line for a walk-in and once I confirmed that they had one in stock, I cancelled my pre-order right there on one of their iMacs, and got the one in store for the $299 early upgrade price.