Buy iP4S at AT&T or Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejin222, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ejin222 macrumors member

I'm about to buy the 4S soon and I was wondering whether it's better to get the phone at AT&T or at Apple.

Would I have better customer care if I buy it at Apple?

My brother-in-law just purchased it at Verizon and he had to go back and forth between Verizon and Apple about setting up the phone and it was such a hassle for him. That's why I am asking if it's better to buy it at the carrier or at the manufacturer...

Thanks!

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Buy from Apple. I trust them. AT&T? Not so much.

Coming from someone stuck in 'pre-order' hell.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Apple will support iphones no matter whether they were bought at Apple or the carrier.

However, something related to the carrier setup / account issues would need to be handled with the carrier regardless.

With that said, I'd tend towards buying from Apple if it' a straight up upgrade. If doing an upgrade swap, I'd probably go with AT&T.

4. Corvidae macrumors newbie

Yeah, the carrier doesn't support the hardware or software, just the cell service. Personally, I'd buy it at the Apple store just because if there is a problem with the phone on the spot you can have it fixed.

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'd buy it wherever you can find it in stock. One place handles your service/account, the other the hardware. If there's problems with either you'll probably have to go to the other place anyhow.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't think it really matters unless you have some sort of promo with one or the other. I bought my first iPhone @ ATT, all the rest @ Apple (pre-ordered). Although if you are planning on buying AppleCare+ it's probably easier to do though Apple.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

buy from apple. should you find yourself in need of a return, apple gives you 30 days and no restocking fee.

8. ejin222 thread starter macrumors member

This will probably be the reason why I'll go to Apple. Thanks.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Exactly. I would always recommend people buy directly from Apple.

I wish I had brought from Apple directly (For some reason I have an ATT FAN (discount account), and on October 7th, Apple's systems were crashing at 3AM eastern time and they even gave me a reservation confirmation but never could order directly from Apple.

So I ordered from ATT's premiere store.

I've always had issues ordering from Apple (2009, 2010, and now 2011). The only time I didn't have issues was in 2008 but that was because I was in Rome on vacation and had to go order it at the ATT store when I got back.

I don't like ATT's $35 restocking fee. ATT's used to not charge the restocking fee but I guess too many people abused the return/exchange system.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, there's no guarantee.

If you buy from Apple, but a problem comes up with your AT&T account, they're going to have to call and work with AT&T to get it sorted out.

If you buy from AT&T, but there's a problem with the hardware (or adding AppleCare+ to your phone), or activating your phone (which really isn't likely to happen this far after the launch day), then they're going to have to call Apple and get it sorted it out.

When I worked at Apple, I'd guess that 95% of the hundreds of iPhones I sold went through without having to call AT&T. However, when AT&T had to get involved, sometimes it'd add an extra 30-45 minutes to the transaction. :/

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would go with Apple. Shorter wait time and less room for error as long as there are no problems with your account. Wish I would've went with Apple when I ordered on the 13th.

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila