Buy iPad 2 now or just wait for iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dj95, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dj95 macrumors member

Hi guys, need some advice on whether to buy an iPad 2 now in time for Christmas, or wait for the iPad 3 in the April-March time frame. Should I wait or just buy now? There's nothing holding me back apart from not wanting to buy the iPad now when in a few months there would be something better for the same price :rolleyes:.

Thanks

2. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Asked many many times. Answered roughly the same way most of the time.

A. Nobody knows for sure when the iPad 3 is coming out
    B. If you have a legitimate use or want for the iPad 2 and the funds to cover it, go ahead and buy it
    C. There is always something better just around the corner
    D. Resale on most iOS devices is pretty good, so you can always unload it for reasonable coin that you can put towards the new one should you so desire

Really, its not rocket science.

3. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

To add... Remember that there will always be new technology around the corner, so if you need an iPad 2 now just buy it!

4. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

get a used one if you don't want to pay full price :)

5. fattire357 macrumors regular

It depends on what you are going to use it for. I just started a job where basically I have to move all over the place, I need to read a lot, and all the computer terminals are often used up.

Thus, having an iPad that I put into my coat pocket and have a mobile reading beast, is the most awesome. thing. ever.

I have no need for an iPad 3.

Do you want it as a gaming machine? Then maybe wait for the update. Reading machine? get it now.

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

iPad 3 only if you want better camera and retina display

7. sumone macrumors regular

I say you should hold off indefinitely since there will probably always be a new one around the corner.

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Funny you said April or march and them said a few months. A few is normally 3. I expect by the time you can actually but it would be closer to 5. 11,12,1,2,3.

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

WOOHOO!!!

Another dead horse to beat.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Then you should wait.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it now, wait until you do need it.

12. ristb macrumors member

I was in the same boat so I decided to go on Craigslist to find a used one. Found a guy that won one at a golf outing. Brand new even with the shrink wrap on the box and also threw in a brand new apple smart cover all for 375. Thank you Craigslist!

13. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I just bought 2 now!

So you should definitely wait! ;)

14. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The retina display will be worth the wait. Save your money. Enjoy what you already have.

15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Can they just sticky this at the top of the forum or something?

16. bri1212 macrumors 6502

No, please do us all a favor and wait for Ipad 5.
    The Ipad 3 may come out in April, like last year. It may be delayed for 6 or so more months like the Iphone 4s was. The real question, is what are you waiting for?
    After all, there will always be another one around the corner, with better hardware, better software? We can play this game until the end of time. No matter which piece of technology that you buy, it will be rendered obsolete by the next big thing. BTW... the next big thing usually is announced or comes out about three days after you buy said product.
    Either buy the product and enjoy what you've got, buy the product and sell it, as soon as, or right before, the next one comes out, or wait until the next one comes along.

17. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

there will always be something new, it doesn't matter what you get now because it will always be replaced with something better eventually

18. chuckles:) macrumors 6502

If you don't need the iPad (and I can't think of why you would), it's probably worth waiting.

19. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

Go and buy an iPad 2 now. You can't race Apple. New things of yesterday today are "old ****".

20. kamil97 macrumors newbie

I think you should just get it. While waiting a few months seems like a short time, you will realize that it is quite painful (i speak from experience, i have a macbook pro). unless you will absolutely ***** your pants from not having the latest and greatest iPad (big iPod touch :D) i recommend immediately running to your local Apple Store and buying the iPad 2.

21. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Don't buy when a new product or a new generation just came out, because it'll most likely have bugs (yellowish tint screen, light bleeding, battery issues).

Don't buy in the mid cycle of a generation, because the refurbished one of the exact same model is about to come out.

Don't buy near the end of the cycle, because a better and faster one for the same or cheaper price is just around the corner.