Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Last iOS 5 user

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Today I was fooling around in a best buy a few blocks away during break time at work and I saw an iPad 2 on clearance, sealed in packaging, with iOS 5. I don't like the new versions so this made me want to buy it. It was $370. I mean it has iOS 5 so I guess it's faster than one running 7 or 8. It has the Youtube and Google Maps I love so much. But is the iPad 2 still worth it today, when the iPad is already in its fifth generation and about to enter sixth (which may come with a quad-core processor)?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
As with your other "is a slightly older machine worth it?" thread - this is a matter of personal opinion. We don't know what the iPad Air 2 (or whatever it will be called) will be specced at, so making assumptions is silly. Yes, it will be faster/better than the existing iPad Air. But as it stands now, the iPad 4 can be bought brand new for $399.

I would say that $399 for an iPad 4 (properly "iPad with Retina Display") significantly beats out an iPad 2 for $370.

And, just as with my other comment in your other thread, if the nebulous "value" of iOS 5 is that important to you, then only you can decide what that's worth.

(If you *REALLY* want iOS 5 just for iOS 5 sake, go find an original iPad - it topped out at iOS 5, so you guarantee you won't find one running iOS 6 or 7. And it will be a heck of a lot cheaper.)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The iPad 2 is very old at this point.

Not worth it in my opinion.

It barely supports iOS 8, but I guess you don't care about that.

If you're happy, I guess that's all that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.