iPad Buy iPad 4 now or wait for possible iPad 5 in March?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clukas, Oct 23, 2012.

1. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

What do you guys think? Will there be an iPad 5 in March with a significant enough update to warrant not buying an iPad 4 (given this would be my 1st).

2. seajewel macrumors 6502

honestly this is my dilemma. I'm leaning towards picking up the cheapest model refurb iPad 3 because of the great price and then upgrading whenever the 5 is released.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Source link to suggest that Apple is going to release an iPad in March?

Just like the iPhone launch got moved back from Summer to Fall, the iPad is probably being moved up from Spring to Fall just in time for the holidays.

Also, what is it with people having the latest and greatest all the time. Buy the product that is available at the time that you decided to make a purchase and that fits your budget. I still have my 2007 iMac and 2008 MacBook Pro along with my iPad 2, these products do continue to function even though new models get released.

4. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I too am curious if this will be Apples schedule for releasing the next ipad, like the iPhone, or if they will have another in the spring. I have the 3rd gen, probably will buy the 4th anyways.

5. Diiiiips macrumors regular

There won't be a 5 in March.

The refresh will happen a year from now IMO to capture the Christmas market. It was always a bit silly seeing millions being sold over Christmas then Apple launching an updated model 3 months later.

6. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

Its not about having the greatest and best of all time. In fact you actually contradict your own argument. I want a product which will have a longer life cycle, i.e. a product I will be able to use the longest before apple regards it as obsolete.

Also with this being a minor upgrade ( more of a spec bump ), I would find it quite likely for there to be an upgrade in March. I could of course be wrong.

7. scupking macrumors 6502a

As I see it Apple is playing it smart and moving most of its product updates before the Holidays now.

8. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

That makes most sense from a marketing perspective.

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If there is one in March, will you post "Buy iPad 5 now or wait for possible iPad 6 in October?"

If you want one, get it. It might be updated at any time. One can't buy technology and expect a long pause in technological innovation so their purchase doesn't feel "old" too soon. Frankly, if some meaningful steps forward could be made in the next 8 weeks, I'd love to see an iPad 5 roll out in December.

This "mine is obsolete now" mindset is a loser- especially on a site where there is overwhelming cheer for Apple innovation. Innovation requires progress. It's illogical to cheer on Apple innovation but then pooh, pooh it when it comes faster than expected.

A "4" now means a "5" sooner than expected. It will have some nice, new innovations too. And Apple moving forward puts the heat on everyone else to pick up their pace... which will then come right back around to putting Apple under some pressure to dazzle us with the next generation. That's how it should be.

If we can get over the idea that we much have the latest & greatest, then we only need the version that does what we need it to do. If Apple started rolling out a new one every quarter, we can just adopt a once-a-year upgrade schedule and enjoy a big jump when we choose to buy. Rather than Apple driving when we upgrade, we- as buyers- choose to upgrade when it makes the most sense for us. That's also how it should be.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There may or may not be a new one in the spring. Maybe they have moved the iPad to the fall for good. It makes sense. Would put the iOS update and all iOS devices on a fall update schedule.

11. hackjo macrumors member

12. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

It should have always been a holiday release schedule I'd be surprised if they pushed another iPad out in march, they already added the a6 what else can be upgraded so soon

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You should wait even longer to buy the iPad 6.

14. al0513 macrumors 6502

Hmmm....

Why wouldn't they launch it in May? I think they will -

They can take advantage of two selling periods - the weeks right after launch (feeding frenzy) and then the Holidays. I mean, during the holidays, iPads will sell itself..

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

We will pretty much see a refresh of Apple products in the fall of every year going forward it seems.

16. vander macrumors member

No ipad in march...my opinion

I too believe that we are now seeing the update to the iPad. I believe that they wanted to steal the thunder of the Microsoft surface release by updating the iPad and by releasing the mini iPad, but because they are using the A6X chip now in this version, they are not going to come out with a chip in the iPad that is better than the chip in the iPhone. So I don't expect that we will see another update to the iPad again until next fall at the earliest after the iPhone is updated. I

i've bought every version of the iPad as I use it as part of my work...Property management, it is indispensable for this purpose, and had planned on buying the new one next March. But I'm not going to wait. I will order this one on Friday, and yes if an updated one comes out in March...oh, well I'll buy that one as well, but at this point I don't expect one to ship in March...just my two cents...

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No wait for the iPad 9. It has a laser and can travel through time (that's how I know as I purchased one in 2017)

18. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

I might consider that actually.

19. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    ... or you can buy my pristine iPad 3 ;)

20. therealjustin macrumors member

Yeah but the iPad 10 hovers, so...

I would grab the new iPad 4 now. It is stupid fast, has a great display and has the new lightning connector. The iPad 5 would only add more speed which isn't needed really and it will be slightly thinner. Grab a 4.

21. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

At wont point will the keynote not say slightly thinner? Every year. Will it end up being as thin as paper?

22. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

Yeah I think I will. The iPad has really matured and become a great product. I wonder what time on Friday you will be able to start pre-ordering.

23. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I'm glad I don't have to worry about the logistics of these products.

At least when the iPad and the iPhone were sold new in different times of the year, they could space out sales spikes.

On the other hand, most people probably didn't buy it yearly anyway. So you could make an apple purchase one fall for the iPad, the next for the phone.

I did BOTH this year, so I plan to skip next year. Unless I buy a Mini or 2 as a gift. Which is less likely now that the cheapest is now $459 for cellular.

24. JazzG macrumors member

The reason I thought they had the iPad in March was so when their iPhone sales starting dying down the iPad sales would drive revenue up until the next iPhone launch. That was my understanding of it and so they wouldn't go like almost a year without a new Apple product.

25. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I could not agree more. I think the move to refresh early had more to do with the fact that they needed to get all their iDevice product lines upgraded to the new lightning connector. However, iDevices are also perfect Christmas gifts. With more and more competitors upping the ante in their offerings, it makes sense for Apple to hit the Holiday's with a refreshed unit as oppsoed to one that is getting long in the tooth and due to be refreshed just a short time after the new year.

I don't see any way that Apple updates the line again in March/April. Think about it. They have upgraded the chip in some way for every major release. Who here thinks they will have a chip better than the A6X in March/April of next year? No way they will.

If you are in the market for a new iPad, get one now. Don't hold out thinking there will be something better early next year, as I believe you will be sorely disappointed.