Buy iPad if I have MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ModestMoo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Hi guys,
    I was always interested in iPad, but I never had a chance to have it for more than 1hour.
    So, I have MBP 13" i7 2.7GHz and I mean I don't have a problem to watch movie in my bed with a MBP or do something like that, and if I'm having a road trip I don't have a big problem to bring MBP with me, but when I'm on plane (usually just 4-6 times a year) I have a problem to get my laguage (is it call like that?) from that thing which is over your head, because I'm about 6foot6", so iPad is better solution.
    And if for example I'd buy it straight from Apple, and I'd return it 14days in mint condition, they would give my money back, but like with Apple Gift card which will be that iPad price? Coz I don't thing I'd need that money by the Gift card...

Btw, I live in UK.

Thanks guys

2. axlvtt macrumors member

The iPad does not replace a laptop. We aren't quite there yet. A laptop should always come before an iPad. However, if you have a laptop and the money, get an iPad. It actually compliments a laptop quite nicely. If money might be an issue, just stick with your laptop.

3. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Yeah, but I don't think if I'd like to bring both iPad and MBP with me... I don't even know if I will get used to it, web browsing etc...

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you buy it with credit card, they'll refund the money to your credit card, but double-check with the Apple store sales people before you purchase. Buy it, try it, I suspect you will keep it. :D

5. BizRunner macrumors member

BizRunner

I have an iPad and a 13 inch and I think it's a great combo. My MacBook has basically turned into a desktop.

6. isagheer macrumors newbie

I have a 15-inch MBP, and I decided to purchase an iPad last year. It was fun to use for a week or so, but now it's collecting dust on my nightstand. The need for an iPad depends on your lifestyle and computing needs. I use my MBP for work, internet browsing, music and the occasional TV episode, which covers all my computing needs.

While the idea of owning an iPad was very tempting, I personally don't use it as often as I thought I would: maybe once or twice a week. Apple has a 14 days return policy, regardless of the payment method or reason for returning.

Hope this helps.

7. Jimmy219c macrumors newbie

This is the same with me exactly. I use my ipad on the couch, in my bed, around the house etc... My macbook pro is now like my desktop where I go to do work. I definitely am happy to own both.

8. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Well you have to take the compromise. For 4-6 times a year (which is now your real requirement), would you consider spending that amount of money (unless you really have LONG plane trips)?

The paradigm with the iPad is different to that of a "regular" PC.

I personally just started down the chain (iPod Touch), then want an iPad because not only it's a great device for productivity and creativity, but I'd take advantage of the bigger screen (and some speciallized Apps, aka HD) and I'm already familiarized with iOS and it's pros and cons.

I see you have en iPhone, so you have to think if you love iOS enough to invest in a bigger device, with better graphics and screen state.

Now, if the deal is also bringing JUST the iPad to your travel destinations, unless you plan on doing "pro" jobs on the MBP, you could get around with the iPad, since it's the ideal Apple portable device, if you want more power than the regular small iOS devices, that is.

Given all that gibberish I just wrote, and seeing as you have no problem having the MBP around when traveling, then I think you should buy the iPad if you either have some money bothering your wallet or simply are being too "spoiled" when traveling on a plane, which happens 4-6 times a year.

9. anis macrumors newbie

maybe it will replace if you have the smaller air macbook.

10. davenz macrumors regular

I have both. I use the iPad way more. Nothing, even paper is as good as the iPad for reading. I do much more reading than before I had an iPad

11. anis macrumors newbie

what do you read? on the iPad.

12. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

love my mbp 13 inch, but i love my ipad more. like people have said its turned into a desktop, still, i wouldn't part with it

13. davenz macrumors regular

News, wall st jnl, kindle books, flipboard, PDFs, textbooks, ect

14. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Only thing is, that I'm doing Dreamweaver and Fireworks job on my MBP, so iPad definitely wouldn't replace it (MBP).
    I want to try that all apps, HD etc. Yesterday when I was in a plane with my good girl friend she had an iPad, we watched 720p movie on that iPad 2. The movie was very crisp, I don't know how iPad 3 would be better. Definitely better.
    Sunday I think I'm going to Apple store to get some experience with iPad 3.:rolleyes:

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

I have both as well. I always use my MBP when I need to sync up songs on my iPhone/iPad, view something important, print, and/or view flash videos. Otherwise, I use my iPhone and iPad to browse. Plus, I never take my MBP with me...iPad is typically always with me. I've stopped myself from coming home and looking at the news on my MBP, just because I want to get my money worth from the iPad.

16. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Alright, so if I'd buy it, what color do you recommend? I think I'd use just smart cover, so I'd see all iPad while I'm using it.

17. Stardotboy macrumors regular

For the last couple of years I've had both a MBP (replaced with a MBA) and an iPad. If money isn't an issue having both is great - they do complement each other nicely. However if you feel strongly that you need to use an iPad or MBP/MBA a lot to justify the purchase, I'd say you'd be better off getting one or the other as by having both I've definitely used both devices less than if I'd only had one of them.

When it comes to colour I think it's down to personal preference. There's another thread on here where people have vigorously argued a case for each colour - but ultimately I don't think the colour of the bezel is anything to worry too much about.

18. Papillo macrumors member

I was in the same both and finally bought the ipad. I used to take my MBP everywhere with me so its a bit more convinent to just take the ipad with me now. It is also much better for plane and train/bus trips especially with having to deal with the laptop in an ever shrinking space in economy. I still use my mbp quite a bit for heavy duty stuff.

I got the black one because i prefer how it looks over the white. you cant really go wrong with either although some people report some discoloration with the home button discolors in the white one over time.

19. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

I'll buy it.
    But Apple Store is quiet far away from me, and I want to go ant pick it up tomorrow.
    But, do they have them in stock? I remember then iPad 2 was launched, some people got those iPads just two three months later because the stock...

20. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Right here.
    Nudies are still better on my MBP :D

21. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Hi guys,
    I bought it, screen blew me away.
    I don't want to use that ipad's adaters , I have my own screen charger from "Universal dock"
    [​IMG]

But on it it shows output: 5V (yp, its the same shape like iPad's adapters, not iPhone's), but on iPads adapter it shows output: 5.1V, so that means what? It will not charge that fast as it should on genuine iPad's?

Thanks