buy iPad now or wait for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brilliant, Jan 30, 2011.

  1. brilliant macrumors member

    brilliant

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2010
    #1
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    a store here is selling a 64gb iPad wifi for $660. i'm extremely tempted to buy... but i know a 2nd gen is coming. should i buy now or wait for the new gen? thanks.
     
  2. aicul macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Location:
    no cars, only boats
    #2
    Most rumors rotate around the video in iPad 2.

    So if this is of some interest and can wait, then wait.

    If money is an issue, maybe waiting is also a good idea as people who spent $$$ for the 64 when it came out will quite surely fork out more $$$ to get the new ipad.
     
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #3
    You should do what you think is best for you... not what we think is best for you
    Don't let a 14 year old in his room playing WoW dictate your buying decision
     
  4. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    #4
    Buy one ..
    Buy both ...
    Buy neither ....

    Best advice your gonna get!
     
  5. aicul macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Location:
    no cars, only boats
    #5
    easy answers! The guy is a newbie, isn't he entitled to some support on the irky apple way of doing business ?

    My advice is to wait if there is no immediate need to own an iPad
     
  6. brilliant, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011

    brilliant thread starter macrumors member

    brilliant

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2010
    #6
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    i see. for sure when the new gen comes out it'll take months later before i can get my hands on one. i'm just wondering if the new gen is worth the wait.

    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    lol @ all. maybe my question should be "is the 2nd gen iPad worth the wait?" completely have no idea about iPads. just want to buy one to check and do stuff on the go.

    and girl here.
     
  7. utl768 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #7
    buy it

    the 2nd ipad isnt gonna be much of an upgrade anyway
     
  8. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #8
    Since the product and specs have not been announced, it is hard to say if it is worth the wait
    And part of that will depend on what is important to you

    I love my current iPad

    Rumors center on an upgraded display, and camera(s)
    Maybe a faster processor and more RAM

    Only you can determine if those are features that are important to you

    And welcome to the Forums
     
  9. marvlaw macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2010
    #9
    You are the only one that can make the decision of whether or not you want/ need an iPad sooner that the rumored release. For me, I wanted one sooner so I got one off craigslist for far less than retail to give a try. Lucky for me it was brand new. When the new ones come out and I will either (a) sell mine for probably actually more than what I paid or (b) hang on to it and be thankful for such a good deal.

    Maybe look for a used one to give it a test drive for less of an investment
     
  10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

    xraydoc

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #10
    No one knows - it is a bit disingenuous to say things like that. The upgrade could be killer... or it could be very minor. We wont know until Tim Cook goes on stage.

    However, to the original poster - if price is your main concern, then consider the current model with the deal you found. If the latest and greatest features is more important to you, then wait a few months.
     
  11. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #11
    Apple won't get a penny out of me for an iPad until the 3G version is untethered from AT&T.
     
  12. karsten macrumors 6502a

    karsten

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    #12
    see what their return policy is. i'm not advocating taking advantage of the system (i.e. using the thing for a month then returning it) but you could get it and not open it and see if the new one comes out quickly then decide
     
  13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #13
    Technically it is untethered. There just isn't a compatible 3G network in the US. The next one should be dual GSM/CDMA so you could use it with Verizon, ATT, and possibly Sprint. Maybe with the new chip it will do TMobile as well. But the current one is untethered as people can drop international SIMs in without problem.
     
  14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

    phpmaven

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    San Clemente, CA USA
    #14
    Bad advice IMHO. I'm sure that it will at least a few compelling features that will make it worth the wait, and no, I'm not talking about camera(s).

    If you buy one now, you may very well kick yourself in a few weeks.

    Having said that, I've had mine since launch day and I love it. I'm sure you would love it as well.
     
  15. poloponies macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #15
    The refurb of that model is $599 from Apple, so $660 ain't so great.
     
  16. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

    Roessnakhan

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    Location:
    ABQ
    #16
    Since I consider the iPad more of a luxury device, waiting a little longer couldn't hurt. If the update isn't too notable, it would mean you'd probably pay even less for the 64GB iPad (v1).
     
  17. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #17
    If you want one now, and really don't want to wait 2 more months, then the answer is obvious.

    To give my $.02, I opted to get one now, as I had an increased need that the iPad would fit nicely.

    The other facet to consider is that if you buy one now and the iPad 2 has a feature that you absolutely must have, then you could always sell the iPad 1 and buy a new one. True you'd not get what you paid for but you would get a nice amount that would largely offset the cost of the new one.
     
  18. Hawke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2007
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #18
    I am waiting until apple releases some official statement as to what the next iPad will feature to determine whether it is worth the wait or not.

    And if it is worth the wait, let's be honest, 2-3 months isn't far away. One month in the year has all ready gone by - it felt like yesterday we were celebrating New Years Eve, so March-April will be here in no time; but if you want my opinion, do what is best for you... do some research on the current device and see if that is sufficient for you and if possible wait until we get some clearer information (ignoring all those rumors you see flying around) and weight everything, ie. price, value, features and go from there.

    Because believe me, there is nothing worse than buying a product, to see it released weeks after with better functionality which you probably wanted or needed.
     
  19. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #19
    That probably won't occur until its ready to ship, the last thing they want to do is release information and then wait a month or two. That will kill off sales of the existing iPad.
     
  20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #20
    This is the main reason why that deal isn't all that good.
     
  21. elan123 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2011
    #21
    wow, helpful
     
  22. sishaw macrumors 65816

    sishaw

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    #22
    If I were just considering buying an iPad now, my choice would be to wait. My experience has been that it is always best with Apple to wait if you are within 2-3 months of a new update, as we appear to be with the iPad.

    Also, I don't think the deal you mentioned is all that great. Check the Apple refurb store:

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB294LL/A?mco=MTkwNDUxNTQ
     
  23. Hawke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2007
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #23
    well, am not in the US, so there has always been some delay before these gadgets are released here,so am hoping that may be the case again this time
     
  24. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

    jmpnop

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2010
    #24
    Wait for iPad 2. Its definitely going to be much better than first gen. It'll surely have 512MB RAM, facetime(front/rear cameras) but can't say on other things, not worth getting first gen when next gen is 2 months away..​
     
  25. djransom macrumors 68040

    djransom

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Chi-Town
    #25
    I picked up an 32GB 3G iPad this weekend for $620 brand new. Couldn't justify the wait. I have my iPhone 4 and MB Pro if I need a cam or if I need to FaceTime. I love my iPad though :D
     

Share This Page