Buy iPad now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by abooch1, Sep 28, 2010.

  1. abooch1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #1
    I'm in no rush to purchase an iPad but I would love to wait for the second version. However I don't want to wait TOO long...

    What is the timeframe of version 2?
     
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #2
    Looks like q1 or q2 next year. Probably march or April. I bought last week. If the new iPad is a huge improvement, I'll sell get that one.
     
  3. xraytech macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
  4. iPhonePhreak macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #4
    New versions get announced at around March. I would recommend you wait since whenever Apple makes a new iDevice the second generation is a bigger improvement
     
  5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #5
    New iPad will probably come out around April/May of 2011.
     
  6. aleni macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    #6
    i don't like to be a stress person because always holding apple gadget for a new one in the future.

    i rather buy it now, and when the new one is out, just sell the old one for $200 less.

    i rather lost $200 as a rent fee for the iPad for few months rather than waiting and waiting and waiting and be stressed out.

    but that's just me and because my country is not in the US, when the iPad launched in let's say june, i can get it in september if i'm lucky. so 3 more months delay because of the limited supply.
     
  7. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
  8. saberahul macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #8
    I know right. I hope the new version is a major step up especially now that the Playbook has been announced.
     
  9. aleni macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    #9
    i think the next iPad will have 1 GB of ram too. well at ****ing last!
     
  10. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

    LouieSamman

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #10
    Wait.

    It's about 5 to 6 month before they renew the iPad and with the competition at hand for apple they will probably release a good update.

    Now if you have plenty of money and have a good income then get an iPad have fun for 5-6 months then sell it for $200 less off cragslist.

    So pretty much you are losing $200 to use the Device for 6 months

    If you are okay with the loss of $200 to enjoy an iPad for half a year than go for it!
     
  11. aleni macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    #11
    my thinking is don't think about $200, but think about $1.1 for 180 days. it's cheap and worth it man.
     
  12. xraytech macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    #12
    I was being sarcastic...
     
  13. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2010
    Location:
    Southern California
    #13
    The iPad was first announced in the Keynote last January. In 3 months, we'll hear all the updates for the next version.

    I've heard rumors that the iPad will come in two different forms next. Supposedly a version that is somewhat smaller than the current version, like 7 inches or so.

    Also, I don't think there is multitasking available for this iPad, but there should be multitasking capabilities in the next. As well as a front facing camera (hopefully), don't think it needs an outer camera. It should have a better setup of the speakers, instead of just 3 small ones on 1 side, there should be 2 small ones on both sides, or 3 small ones on both sides.

    Also, any ports for HDMI or something useful, like plugging it to your printer, will be cool. Unless there is wireless printing already?

    I'm basically in the same shoes that you are. I want the iPad, but I don't got the money for it. It's gonna cost a lot. To get the 16gb iPad, with an Apple protection plan, as well as a case, and a dock is gonna cost you $666, throw in tax, and it's gonna be $780. Thats a pretty damn big investment to make, and then sell for cheaper in 6 months.
     
  14. My name is Alex macrumors regular

    My name is Alex

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Location:
    Gold Coast, Australia
    #14
    Nearly all your issues will be addressed in November... (unless you're being sarcastic):(
    I also reckon it would need a back camera for FaceTime to show the other person what you're seeing.
     
  15. bobob macrumors 68030

    bobob

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    #15
    If you "don't got the money" then you can certainly consider skipping the AppleCare and the dock - - that shaves $128 + $22 tax for a total of $150 off your price, taking the total down to $630.

    Of course, in six months you could wait and pay the same $630 for the 2nd generation iPad, or better yet, wait 18 months and pay the same $630 for the unbelievably advanced 3rd generation iPad!
     
  16. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2006
    #16
    I highly doubt that the iPad will drop that much in price from a new release. Remember the base model wi-fi is $499 ($449 for refurbished) and I don't think we would see a 40% price drop just after one year and a new model.
     
  17. Phil A. Moderator

    Phil A.

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    Location:
    Shropshire, UK
    #17
    I didn't see anything in the license agreement that said I have to sell my iPad and get a new one the minute it comes out ;)
    I just got mine yesterday and will probably keep it for 2 years whether a new one comes out tomorrow, next year or the year after
     
  18. Zillio macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2010
    #18
    Apple took ages to meet demand on the first iPad and it is still not released in some countries (I think), the new iPad will have the same supply problems and therefore the 1st gen ipads will retain a lot of their resale value at least until 3/4th quarter 2011.
     
  19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #19
    As mentioned, the OS update in november will take care of most of those things. I doubt we will hear much about the next iPad until just before or at it's release. We got the announcement early to build hype for the product, now it doesn't need any of that. Personally, I don't care about a camera and if the OP doesn't either than the current one should suffice for awhile.

    As to used prices, the top end may drop $200 but the low end will probably drop only $100 unless the new iPad is so compelling that many current owners want to upgrade and it's available in quantity from day one.
     
  20. lozpop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2006
    #20
    Me too!
     
  21. lozpop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2006
    #21
    Yeah, I really hope they jump the 512MB to go straight on to 1GB.. Is this so improbable?
     
  22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #22
    Not likely. 256mb seems to be ok with the new OS so Apple will want to keep margins strong.
     
  23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2002
    #23
    Depending on your financial situation, and intended use, you could get a 16GB refurb for $449, and sell it at what'd likely be a modest loss. Or retire it to someone else in your life. This way you get your feet wet over the next six months, and can trade up IF you feel it necessary depending on what iPad2 offers...
     
  24. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #24
    I'm really annoyed that the iPad only has 256MB. I was annoyed when it launched (I mean it's basically the same hardware as the third gen iPod, but clocked 400Mhz faster). Even more annoyed now that the iPhone 4 has double the RAM.

    That's probably my biggest worry about buying an iPad now.
     
  25. browellm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    #25
    If it's fit for purpose, why should you worry if it has 1MB or 10,000MB? :confused:
     

Share This Page