Buy iPad now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by willisbr, Oct 25, 2010.

  1. willisbr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    #1
    I am considering an iPad to have with me while flying for flight charts, GPS backup, EFB, etc. I can't find a single rumor that there may be another iPad anytime soon but Apple is known for annual updates that kill my buzz of my recent purchases. So...should I buy or wait six months in hopes of some new "epic" update? Thanks all.
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    The iPad will most like be updated next spring, as with all the other handheld i-devices (iPod, iPhone) are updated yearly at the same time.
    If you can wait, wait, if not, buy. Or buy, sell and buy new.
     
  3. MSD401 macrumors 6502

    MSD401

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    Ogden, UT
    #3
    I just struggled with the same decision.. then I checked ebay...used ipads are selling at or near full price.. decided to pick up a refrub from apple.com and plan to sell when the rummors about ipad2 become more clear...figure even if I lose 75-100 bucks (which it doesnt look like I will) I will still come out head as I wil have had it for at least 6 months .. which is my guess...
     
  4. nburwell macrumors 68040

    nburwell

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    PHL
    #4
    I was struggling with the same dilema for about a month. I finally broke down and purchased one yesterday. I definitely do not regret it at all. Plus, if the new iPad has some feature I must have, I can always sell my current one on eBay.
     
  5. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2008
    #5
    I'd say that it'd be worth the ~$100 or so to own one for a few months before selling it when the new one rolls out, since you have a clear use for it.

    Also, no reason you can't have an old and a new one...
     
  6. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

    NebulaClash

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    #7
    Don't listen to those who post dogmatic responses. This is a question each person has to decide for themselves.

    In your case you left a few clues for us to ponder:

    1. You don't need an iPad desperately, for you are merely pondering the question at the moment.

    2. It really bothers you when a newer version comes out.

    3. You are able to wait as long as six months if necessary.

    In your case, wait. There will definitely be a new version of the iPad within six months. I don't know if it will be an "epic" update, but it will be an update. You will then probably have a full year to enjoy it before a new version ruins your mood. And since you evidently are able to wait, you are not putting a hardship on yourself by waiting.

    If I've read you wrong, and you are desperate to get one, then do so. You'll get six months of fun out of it and then you can sell it and upgrade to the new one for some extra cost than if you waited. Is six months of fun worth the extra cost? Go for it.
     
  7. southernpaws macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #8
    If someone offered to rent to you an iPad for six months for $100 would you do it?

    It's possible to find a 16gb wifi on ebay around $400. If you sell it for $300 around the new announcement, that's basically the situation you'd have.
     
  8. Apple... macrumors 68020

    Apple...

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    The United States
    #9
    Some good advice - I'd wait. I always buy Apple products within weeks (or hours) after their release. Just my $0.02. Take it or leave it. :cool:
     
  9. Pinger macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2010
    Location:
    Northeast
    #10
    Go for it.... You're missing one incredible device, buy a refurb for 450 and in 6 months sell it for 350 or so and for another 150 get the 2nd generation iPad which I am sure will have double the memory form it's base model... Key to me is selling this one weeks BEFORE the new one is released to get the most $$ for it... That's my plan :)
     
  10. Tankfantry macrumors regular

    Tankfantry

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #11
    See I have no problem waiting until April when they release the iPad 2. Well that and because my wife said if I purchase one more Apple product this year she will leave me.
     
  11. My name is Alex macrumors regular

    My name is Alex

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Location:
    Gold Coast, Australia
    #12
    I'm waiting for the second generation because I have to save up, but boy will It be worth it, gonna wait in line and everyting.:D
     

Share This Page