Buy iPad or iPad2 for University?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by medi.freak, Oct 26, 2011.

1. medi.freak macrumors regular

Hey folks!
    I just bought a macbook pro 15" and found that it is too big to take to class every day and take notes with it. So I was thinking about the iPad. I am now torn between a 64GB iPad wifi or a 32GB iPad2 wifi. I will only use it for pdf viewing and editing (I think pdf Reader pro edition will be awesome for that) because our profs put every keynote and lecture as pdf files online, and I really do not want to print everything out. I will also use: Watching movies, surfing the web, and using iMessage and kakaotalk.
    I heard the iPad got terribly slow with the new iOS? I will buy this weekend, so I need some input from you guys! Thanks for the help!

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

iPad 2. 32Gb is more than enough and iPad 2 has faster processor so will allow you to view them faster and annotate them better. I recommend either GoodReader or PDF Expert.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Agreed. iPad 2 will last you longer as well such as iOS updates.
    For the PDF reader app, I agree GoodReader is the best. :)

If you just want a cheap iPad, iPad 1 is good enough for your needs. Have a look at here.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Good luck.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

The iPad 2 is marginally faster, but when you are in a lecture and waiting for a note to open, a pdf page to render, etc. then it matters. I moved from the iPad 1 to the iPad 2 to get better performance with pdfs.

5. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! It would come down to this: Either I buy the iPad 64Gb now and by myself, or I would wait until christmas to get the iPad2, because then my parents would partially finance it with me. I'm really torn, because I just don't know how much of a difference it will make. How slow is the iPad really?

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Get the iPad 2. The form factor is much nicer as well and the iPad 2 is a lot faster.

My friend has an iPad 2, I have an iPad 1, its quite a difference in speed.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The iPad 1 is still very capable, the iPad 2 is just smoother and snappier. It depends on how much that matters to you.

Do you know anyone with an original iPad so you can try it out and see what you think?

8. iKidWare macrumors member

Still running strong on my ipad1. Just upgraded to ios5 and notice no speed problems, I'd say buy the ipad1 now, then next year upgrade to the the ipad3..

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I think it all depends on if you plan on getting the iPad 3. If you do, then i would say get original iPad for a great price and sell it before iPad 3 announcement since you should be able to get close to breaking even if you found a great deal. If you don't plan on getting iPad 3, then get iPad 2 and keep it for however long your heart desires. Thats my two pennies atleast ...