Buy iPad Pro 10.5 now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mbvmbmb, Apr 13, 2018.

  1. mbvmbmb macrumors member

    mbvmbmb

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2017
    #1
    Hello I am looking to buy an iPad Pro 10.5 inch with an Apple Pencil to use for school work. I'm specifically looking into using procreate and strengthening my illustration workflow with it.

    There are rumors of new ones coming out in September and or June? not sure

    So is it worth it to buy now or wait?
     
  2. Johnny365 macrumors 6502

    Johnny365

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2015
    #2
    It depends if Apple announces/releases a new iPad Pro this year. Some would say to wait, but if you can find a good deal now, at lower than the MSRP, it may be good to jump on it. Sometimes buying the previous year release when the new ones are announced has more savings that way too!

    But you can wait forever for the newest model to come out and it'll be superseded in no time. Like buying an iPhone 8 Plus in August, and Apple announcing the new ones in September.
     
  3. cucumberflying macrumors newbie

    cucumberflying

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2018
    #3
    WWDC is on June 4 and I think that is when the current Pro was released last year. I personally, am waiting until June so I can save up a bit more. If you really need it now (since your case is for school), then I would buy now. Or you could wait about 50 days. Hope this helped! Forgot to mention, MicroCenter is having a sale on the WiFi versions. If you don't have one near you, you can contact Staples through Live Chat and they will pricematch and take 10% off!

    http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...k=all&sortby=match&N=4294954980&myStore=false
     
  4. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

    IowaLynn

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2015
    #4
    Even after only 3 weeks I find the 10.5 to be sluggish loading any app. If I was you I would look into the Samsung S4 when it comes out, could be September also.

    I have same apps setup on iPhone X and there is no drag or lag or sluggishness.
     
  5. nathasnajperowa macrumors member

    nathasnajperowa

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    #5
    I have IOS setup combined iPhone X and IPP 10.5. Both devices run betas 11.4.
    Both are buttery smooth and no sluggish or delayed.
     
  6. puma1552 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
  7. walkthruwalls macrumors member

    walkthruwalls

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2014
    Location:
    waters of Thailand
    #7
    I'd buy one now with the Microcenter deal. And besides, the new iPads at WWDC talk is all speculation. 50-50.
     
  8. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

    Frankfurt

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Location:
    USA
    #8
    I did and love the 10.5. Coming from iPad Air. With 4GB RAM this will serve me well 3-4 years.
     
  9. PhoneMe1 Suspended

    PhoneMe1

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2018
    #9
    You have a dud then, swap time.
     
  10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    get one now if there is a great deal otherwise wait a few months.
     
  11. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
    #11
    I wanted to ask the same thing yesterday, decided to wait because I want to buy an iPhone too.
     
  12. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    #12
    Unless your planning on going to Summer school, I wouldn’t think you’ll actually need your new iPad till September. As has been said, WWDC is in June and it won’t be a surprise if they announce new iPads in time for school. If they do, you can then either choose to buy the new model or settle for the discounted current model, a win/win either way.
     
  13. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Location:
    LA
    #13
    Are both Pro model sizes being updated simultaneously this June or down the line?
     
  14. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2012
    #14
    Unless you have to have the latest and greatest, it’s tough to beat the Microcenter deal. Sure updates are coming, but it’ll likely be primarily Face ID integration and smaller bezels. Unless you have to have that, no sense in waiting.
     
  15. kipwheeler macrumors regular

    kipwheeler

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2016
    #15
    A good rule of thumb that often appears on these forums is, if you expect a new version or a price drop to appear in less than a month, wait. If you expect a new version to appear any later than that, go ahead and buy it now if you need it. Don't chase the latest thing by waiting any longer than that--as there's no guarantees that it will appear when you think it might.
     
  16. walkthruwalls, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

    walkthruwalls macrumors member

    walkthruwalls

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2014
    Location:
    waters of Thailand
    #16
    It's a waiting game. Could be next month, could be WWDC, could be next year. Only the iPhones are consistent in timeline updates. Other Apple Hardware is always a waiting game. There are no guarantees, if you NEED one, grab one when you see a good deal. Unless you're good with waiting. iPad Mini fans are still waiting:D.
     
  17. rulymammoth macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2015
    #17
    Get one now with one of the heavy discounts. If you want the latest and greatest whenever it arrives, sell the one you have now and upgrade.
     
  18. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

    Hey Jude

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    Location:
    Florida
    #18
    I bit the bullet and ordered 256 IPP Wifi + Cellular, 10.5" yesterday in space gray. I have been without an iPad for about 4 months after gifting my iPad Air to my sister, so I am anxiously awaiting its delivery on Wednesday.

    I needed an iPad now, so just couldn't justify waiting any longer.
     

Share This Page