Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Should I buy now and pro now or wait can we expect a new one next month or because a 10.2” was announced that means it may be next year now?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Helle there

It seems that a new iPad Pro will be released either next month or early 2020. Wait a bit & if you can’t you can try to look at the refurb for a good price.

martinatra

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
I'm on the fence about this too. I have a 2016 iPad Pro, so it would be a decent upgrade no matter what. I just don't want to miss out on having the newest one.

Reactions: twanj

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Buy now if you can find good deals on a iPad Pro. While you're at it, wait another 2 years for the newest iPad to be released. Guaranteed!

Reactions: digitalexplr

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I got a Pro £100 cheaper than the shops on eBay might last me a few years as the new iPad won’t be much more than a processor bump or camera. The iPad Air 3 offered little over my 9.7” iPad I had before.

pmmacd

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2019
My iPad is 4 years old and I’m out of memory so I’m definitely in the market for a new one. Waited until now to see what’s new. I’m still not clear, will the new Pro have USB capability?

Reactions: zdenkomagic

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
They all have USB capable in some form or another. The newest 2018 iPad Pros have USB-C ports instead of Lightning which brings about more uses.

pmmacd

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2019
Hmmmm, maybe I’ve missed something all along. Do you mean I can use a USB C and plug it into the lightening port? And is there a dongle that accepts an older USB and interfaces with a “C”?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
How fast does the new iPad charge with usb-c?

Are the speakers good?

Very fast and speakers are fine. I bought an iPad Pro 11-inch last week, replacing my iPad 4, purchased in Nov. 2012. Big difference!

And on Nov. 1, a free year of Apple TV+ with lots of original content.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If u can get it at least 20% discount. I would buy it.

Nothing less than 20%.

Or else wait till at least mid October Apple events

I got my iPad Pro 11 256gb WiFi (msrp $950) for $625 from Best Buy 4 weeks ago 6-7 hour flash sale or pricing error. Whatever it was. It was such a good price. ($675-50 student coupon). This $625.

Plus I got to use my Amex spend $250 get $25 off also.

So I literally got the iPad Pro 256gb for $600 plus taxes. Which was such an amazing deal

Even though we got 2 iPad 6th gen, iPad Air 2019, iPad Pro 9.7 cellular, iPad Pro 10.5

So I figured why not. I need iPad Pro 3 since if both my kids have 2 iPads each. I need to have two iPad pros each myself!

I haven’t even opened it yet. I’m Best Buy elite so still have sept 30 to return it. But man it was such a good deal. I’m still trying to decide to keep it or not.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
It's supposed to have a holographic beam so you can manipulate the UI in 3D space.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I am waiting. Hopeful for a fall/winter 2019 release.

Hmmmm, maybe I’ve missed something all along. Do you mean I can use a USB C and plug it into the lightening port? And is there a dongle that accepts an older USB and interfaces with a “C”?
Yes, but only in iPadOS 13 for drives, and usually requires external power for drives.

Spytap

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
Should I buy now and pro now or wait can we expect a new one next month or because a 10.2” was announced that means it may be next year now?

Can't tell you what you need, but for me, I have a Mac mini at home, a MBP for work, and a personal 2012 MBA that I often use for writing/other personal projects when I travel. I'm holding onto my MBA until end of October. If a new iPad Pro is released, then I'll pick one up. If not, then I'll pick up a current model at Costco or wherever I can find the best discount. At this point, the wait is likely a month to know whether it's worth waiting longer.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
I bit the promos going on now. A12X and iPadOS is so superior to anything else out there in the tablet world and even if the A13x is maybe 20% more powerful, the current gen hardware is really far ahead of the software. Future proof? Well, let me tell you that I still own the 2015/16 ipad 12.9 and it is still being used in the home with iPadOS beta it browses the web as fast as my 2015 mbp 13!

I would not worry too much - just buy it if you want it. Something new always will be there. If only i can apply this concept towards marriage....upgrade every year a better one appears!

jsavvy

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
I've heard of Apple letting people exchange a device they recently bought for the updated version if the updated version was released shortly after the original purchase. Does anyone have experience with this? Is that only within the 14 day return period? It might help OP make a decision.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I ditched my laptop for an ipad pro in 2018, so i am always interested in updates...but i am so happy with my current 11” ipad pro that i have no plans to upgrade in 2020. Looking forward to seeing what Apple does tho. I probably won’t be upgrading until 2022.

Reactions: Macintoshrumors

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I'll probably get one if they make it stronger and I don't care if it's heavier. But they'll probably make it even thinner and weaker and even more prone to bending.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Buy it now if you need it. If you don't need it now, why buy it at all?
[automerge]1568971283[/automerge]
I'll probably get one if they make it stronger and I don't care if it's heavier. But they'll probably make it even thinner and weaker and more prone to bending.

There are manufacturing processes that can make a structure more rigid whilst becoming lighter, it's done all the time in new car platform engineering. A lot of what Apple does it adapt processes like that to making computers, e.g. the unibody..

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I like the new design but on the fence about risking the bend issue, hopefully they modify it to be stronger in the next version

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017

There are manufacturing processes that can make a structure more rigid whilst becoming lighter, it's done all the time in new car platform engineering. A lot of what Apple does it adapt processes like that to making computers, e.g. the unibody..

But they'll have to use something better than low grade aluminum to do that! The new Samsung S6 is now thinner than the Ipod Pro and they are now making it of aluminum. Samsungs have been very durable. I wonder how this one compares. That is, will it bend easily?

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
I just went ahead and purchased the 12.9” model. It replaced my old iPad 4 16gb that I purchased in 2013. I got 7 years out of it and it was at the point where no matter what I did it was ungodly sloooooowww. Like someone said the next upgrade with probably be in cameras and an upgraded processor with possibly Touch ID through the glass like the rumors about the new iPhone talked about. That isn’t enough to make me wait. I’ve only had it 3 days so I haven’t really “flexed” it yet but when iPadOS hits I will be really putting it to work. If you are coming from anything older than the A9 processor I would say go ahead and upgrade and you won’t be disappointed. Starting with the A10x chip you would need to take a real look at what rumors are saying about performance from the new model. If they aren’t OMG better than the 2018 version then I would say get the 2018.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I just went ahead and purchased the 12.9” model. It replaced my old iPad 4 16gb that I purchased in 2013. I got 7 years out of it and it was at the point where no matter what I did it was ungodly sloooooowww. Like someone said the next upgrade with probably be in cameras and an upgraded processor with possibly Touch ID through the glass like the rumors about the new iPhone talked about. That isn’t enough to make me wait. I’ve only had it 3 days so I haven’t really “flexed” it yet but when iPadOS hits I will be really putting it to work. If you are coming from anything older than the A9 processor I would say go ahead and upgrade and you won’t be disappointed. Starting with the A10x chip you would need to take a real look at what rumors are saying about performance from the new model. If they aren’t OMG better than the 2018 version then I would say get the 2018.
I’m surprised you wouldn’t even wait a month to see if they will announce another event. Nonetheless there are some good deals to be had, and that’s an excellent machine.

The one thing I’d love to see though in a new generation is a backlit Smart Keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.