Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lleial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2020
SPAIN
Hi guys, I have a question to share with you all since I'm having a hard time making up my mind, and I could really use some external view/advice on it.

My partner and I own the iPhone SE (2016) and iPhone 7 respectively. Our phones have been showing their age for the past year, specially with storage and battery (we both have 32GB models), and of course, its that time of the year where one needs to get a new phone.

I've been waiting all year for the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max to release to buy them, but a few things have changed and I wanted to share my thoughts:

1. The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max will definitely go up in price, here in Europe I'm guessing about 150€ (inflation and devaluation of the euro).
  2. If I wait for the IP14PM, the IP13PM will no longer be listed on their site, and I'm not really cool with buying them at third-party retailers (this is due to how other shops handle warranty, returns, etc.)
  3. We really like the Sierra-Blue colour, and we're afraid that the new colours won't convince us (other than the regular colours).
  4. I also need to get her a new MacBook, specifically the MBA, which has already gone up 100€.
I know for sure that either the IP13PM or the IP14PM will blow our expectations since it's such a big improvement. However, the thought of buying the IP13PM now, and allocating the possible 300-400€ price difference to the purchase of the MacBook Air has stopped me from seeing the IP14PM as the ideal purchase.

Also, given the rumours regarding the iPhone 14Pro and Pro Max, I don't think I'll be really missing out on that much, since the idea of using the extra money I'm not spending on the IP14PM for the MBA is becoming more appealing.

The question is, at only 3 months from the possible release of the iPhone 14Pro and Pro Max, do you think I should wait and get those models? (at the extra cost). Am I going to miss out on a lot just by buying now what I need? (We can obviously hold on to our devices for a little longer, but saving a little bit of money that can be used towards the MBA is also ideal).

Please share your thoughts with me, any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
There’s quite a lot of rumoured upgrades from the 13pm to the 14pm, most notably the new design on the front. It’s not that long until it comes out and you’ve waited this long. Also 13pm will likely be discounted, even if it’s discontinued in the Apple store it’ll still be available from carriers and totally legit 3rd party sites. Not a good time to buy an iPhone at the moment

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Gives the phones that you've been using, I would imagine camera quality isn't a large priority for the both of you. That's going to be the major upgrade (according to rumors) - supposedly going from 12MP to 48MP. Regardless, if you choose the 13 Pro you're going to get an ENORMOUS camera upgrade in comparison to what you're using now.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the 13 Pro in just about any aspect. At the same time, you hold on to your phones for quite some time so it might be worth waiting just so you can have the latest and greatest. There's really no wrong decision to be made here IMO.

P.S - you could really save more money by going with a standard 13 and still be getting a major upgrade. Could repurpose that saved cash for higher storage on the phones and a higher spec MacBook of your choosing.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Given that you would be coming from an iPhone 7 and a first generation SE, are you sure you need a Pro or Pro Max? Maybe a "regular" iPhone 13 or 14 would be fine. If so, you could wait and see where prices are the 14 and then still be able to buy a new 13 from Apple as they would remain for sale for a while.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
For those who already have a 13, the 14 will likely just be a spec bump over the 13: Always on Lock Screen capability, better camera (as usual) and a modified notch on the screen.
Many 13 series owners won’t be buying one of the 14s.

That being so - if they’re happy with the 13 they’ve got - you’ll be too.

My vote: save some cash and get one of the 13s

Reactions: lleial

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I don’t see Apple upgrading anything past camera, notch, and possibly chip. I’m a display nerd so unless there’s something better than ProMotion and OLED I’ll probably skip the yearly upgrade. If the chassis was titanium on the PM that would probably push me over as long as it reduced the weight of what my 13 PM already is but I’m going to assume if they do give it titanium it will be to offset the new camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmccombs and lleial

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It's hard to tell really without knowing what the 14 Pro Max will actually bring to the table. Waiting until the last minute as stated above to buy the 13 would be the safest option I suppose.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I’m the type that always wants the latest and greatest, so no way would I be buying the 13PM now when the next iteration will be coming in two months. There does seem to be quite a few rumored improvements for the 14 Pro models. Thinner bezels, pill-shaped hole instead of notch, A16 chip, 48mp camera, 8K video, better 5G modem, WiFi 6E, always-on display.

However, these might not be important to you, and they likely won’t make a big difference to the majority of users unless you have a specific need for those features. The 13PM will last you for years to come with no issues and be a huge upgrade for you. The Sierra Blue color will not stick around for the 14PM, so if you’re dead set on that color, get it now.

Apple does tend to increase their prices when they do new designs. The Pro models have been the same base price since 2017/2018 here in the U.S. ($999 and $1099), so we could be due for a price increase like you said. On the other hand, part of me can’t see Apple raising the prices a lot on these since people are losing their appetite for inflation and they’re already at a pretty high price point for phones. But I know Apple is more expensive in other countries and seems to raise their prices more for other countries.

Based on your post, wanting Sierra Blue, and saving money for a MBA, I feel like getting the 13PM now makes more sense for you.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Considering where you are coming from an SE, definitly wait a couple of months for the 14 Pro’s and save up a bit for the price increases. In terms of colour, I wouldn’t let that be a deciding factor. Good luck and enjoy!

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
I upgraded last year from the iPhone 8 Plus to the 13PM. After being in a 2y cycle since the 3GS, this felt really like the smallest step I did. Make sure you want the Pro Max size. I love it for content consumption and image editing.
The prices will go up, that is for sure and compared to the price increase that already happened (8 Plus with max. Storage was 1079€, 13PM with 512GB was 1599€), another price increase is hard to justify.
Let me put it this way: buy the 13 Pro Max, if you like the Pro model. Or wait for the 14 Max (without pro). The regular 13 is already sooooo good, if you are not used to 120hz, you won’t miss it.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
I'm looking forward to the camera system, 120Hz screen, matte back finish, and regarding the pro max, the battery.
Have the 13PM:
- camera, is really nice but only if you need the 3x Zoom or Macro lens.
- 120Hz, you cannot go back
- matte back, uhh the regular 13 feels much better in the hand. With the Pros you constantly fear scratching them and are slippery as hell.
- battery, is excellent like all 13 models. But with the 13PM, you cannot kill it in a day.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
Considering where you are coming from an SE, definitly wait a couple of months for the 14 Pro’s and save up a bit for the price increases. In terms of colour, I wouldn’t let that be a deciding factor. Good luck and enjoy!
don’t let colour be a deciding factor? sierra blue is literally the main reason i upgraded from my 11 pro. colour is a big factor, especially the yearly limited ones

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I mean… it’s only two months. I think it would be fairly silly to not wait, personally, unless of course there was a pressing immediate need to purchase a new phone right now.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
- matte back, uhh the regular 13 feels much better in the hand. With the Pros you constantly fear scratching them and are slippery as hell.
SS sides has more grip that the aluminium and the backs are a greasy smudge magnet

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
It's definitely not the greatest time in the year to buy an iPhone, at least not at full MSRP price. I'd recommend you to wait for the 14PM to launch in September and make an educated decision about the model that gives you the most bang for your bucks. You'll either pay the 14 PM for about the same price as it is for the 13 PM now (probably a bit more), or get the 13 PM with a decent discount (I know you don't want to go with third party retailers, but there are many like Best Buy that are legit).

Even if you only want to go with Apple Store, you'll get the most by waiting this fall. As others have suggested, if you won't consider buying the 13PM from other retailers, you'd be better to order it a few days before the 14PM launch, and return it if you want to go with the 14 PM. But if you stick with the 13 PM, you'll pay the full price for a year old model, thus why I recommend you look at third party retailers.

saintmac

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
I'd say wait 2.5 months.
If the 14Pro is amazing, you'll be glad to get it. If not, you'll very likely be able to get the 13Pro cheaper than now from third party retailers (or if you absolutely want to buy from Apple, buy the day before the announcement just in case, as mentioned by other people)
If you're coming from an OG SE or a 7, I don't think you'll want to get a Pro Max, I own a 13Pro and it is painfully bigger than my previous XS, which was already painfully bigger than my 6S (same form factor than your 7).

Regarding colors, I have the blue 13Pro and honestly I preferred the blue of the 12Pro but I use an Apple case anyway so the colour of the phone is only visible on the camera bump. I wouldn't have picked the 12 Pro just for the color.
High end iPhones are so expensive now, and it sounds like you tend to hold own to your phones for many years so I guess you are (or should) be using a case anyway. And who knows the 14Pro might get the same blue or one you like even more!

TL;DR: buy the macbook now and hold on to your phones for 2 more months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.