Buy iPhone 3G for now, return after new iPhone is announced, then wait for release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JosephBergdoll, May 7, 2009.

1. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I originally planned on purchasing a new iPhone 3G in around a week and a half when I get my next paycheck. However, with all of the recent hubbub about a hardware update, I have been contemplating whether this is a smart decision. I've been putting little bits of money away for awhile and this next paycheck will put me where I need to be, financially. I'm considering purchasing the 3G, and then returning it to AT&T within the 30-day return period once/if the new phone is announced. If the release date is after the 30-day period, I plan on returning it and then just waiting out until the release.

Good idea to please my instant gratification heeby-jeebies, while still eventually getting the new hardware?

2. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Nah...I mean, its only about a month away. You've waited and saved till now, wait a few more weeks and save your self the hassle. If no new iPhone comes out, which I doubt but theres still that chance, then go ahead and get a 3G. After that 30 day period, you wont be able to get a full refund, and even though the new iPhone might be announced around June 8th it'll probably still be another few weeks after that before the official launch....putting you even further away from your 30 day return window. So....you'd actually have to wait till around the end of May or even the beginning of June to buy your 3G to make sure you fall into that 30 day window and by then you'll only be a week or so away from the possible new iPhone announcement, so you might as well just wait, unless you want a 3G for a week or two.

3. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

just wait a month

just wait a month.

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

If you don't exchange it right away you will be looking at the restocking fee too. Just wait.

5. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Keep saving

Keep saving for all the accessories and apps you'll want.

-Case and screen protector
    -Car charger
    -Extra wall charger
    -Bluetooth headset
    -Higher quality earbuds/headphones

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wait a month, and put some away for accessories :)

7. Prissy macrumors 6502

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    When you say saving up do you mean for the $199 device or $2000 or so you'll pay over the next two years?

That $200 is a big commitment! I hear people say all the time they would get an iPhone if only it were $100 cheaper and I scratch my head wondering if they don't think about the other $2,000 that you're signing up for.

As for waiting vs. not, wait....

9. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Yes! Incase slider case and power support crystal film for me please! Maybe zagg shield...? :cool:

If it hasnt been 30 days, go return it asap and just hold off with your old phone for another month a few weeks. The iPhone 3G with 3.0 software will be bada** but if this new iPhone does actually come out with the hardware thats been rumored to be featured on it, then I'd hold off for that bad boy.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. And like others have said, it is only a month or so away. You have been waiting this long so it isn't going to kill you to wail a little more.

11. bigchief macrumors 6502a

LOL, There's always someone around to point out the turd floating in the punch bowl.

12. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

My father's insurance business pays for our family plan. I will only be paying for the phone ($200) and the $30 a month data, which I will just deposit $30 into my dad's account every year. The $20 restocking fee really doesn't bother me, and I don't plan on buying nicer headphones, a case, or anything except for a car charger and a dock, which I can cover with another paycheck.

13. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

No, no, no. It shouldn't be evaluated from the perspective of not having any phone at all. It should be evaluated from the current standpoint. So, if someone is already paying $1500 over the life of the contract, figure only what having the iPhone would cost above and beyond that.

14. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

It seems like you've made up your mind then. Just know that you're making the wrong decision. Anything could go wrong during the return process/waiting period and then you'll be stuck with the old phone for two years and/or an ETF and/or a restocking fee. The new iPhone should be hitting shelves in 4-10 weeks. Also, you'd be crazy not to get a case.

15. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm going to wait. And I've never been a fan of cases, especially those gay little rubber ones. If I'm buying something that looks sick, I wanna be able to see it.

16. daonesteven macrumors 6502

damn, if the new iphone is actually going to come out with the new hardware and such, and if the rumor is true that the monthly plan will reduce by $10 and allow current at&t iphone customers to get subsidized pricing, then is there like ANY reason for anyone to not upgrade? I mean, besides not wanting to extend the contract by another 2 years and having to go through the hassle of selling your current iphone (which i'm sure you'll use to cover the cost of your next iphone + more!) and sign up for the new one...

is this what everyone's plan is? that's my plan unless i'm uninformed

17. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

save up for apps.....I've spent over $250 on them in 9 months

[​IMG]

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

This proves that some people have more money than sense! :D

19. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Don't you mean, ". . . that looks slick"? :rolleyes:

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yikes :eek:

I've had my iPhone since December and I think I've spent a total of 40 bucks on apps and that includes an expensive logmein app at 20 bucks.

21. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Good choice to wait! What happens if you drop it and just do a little cosmetic damage to it and you can't return it? Anything can happen. Especially if you are carrying it naked. I also carry mine naked. I work in Iraq and travel internationally all the time. I started out with a case and screen protector. But I took them off for a few days and I was awe struck with it without anything on it. So since then I have carried it naked. I am very very careful with it and it still looks brand new after almost a year. It can be done!

22. Andruw91 macrumors regular

23. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm extremely careful with phones as well. I've only dropped my LG Shine twice in the year that I've had it. My iPods have only been dropped two or three times each in the multiple years I've had them, too. I trust Apple's build quality and would rather see the good looks of the good looking phone as opposed to some cheap looking clear plastic case or a rubber sleeve.

24. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I am waiting to take the plunge myself. I wouldn't hassle with buying one
    at this point.

25. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

The games get old, boring, I beat them, or new improved games that look interesting come out. Pair that with all the cool utilities and the fact that most of the best apps are paid apps, you can see why a mere 149 apps can quickly add up to over $200. Of course, I dont actually carry all of those apps on my phone, but i do have about 7-8 pages of them on my phone though.....

1)
    [​IMG]
    2)
    [​IMG]
    3)
    [​IMG]
    4)
    [​IMG]
    5)
    [​IMG]
    6)
    [​IMG]