Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP09

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
A coworker of mine is selling his 3G 16gb for $120. I'm planning to get the iPhone 4 but my contract doesn't end in months. For the time being, do you think I should get it since the price he is selling it for is really cheap and might not even upgrade down the line since i really don't want to lose my unlimited data. How much do you think the re-sell value of the 3Gs since OS4 multi-tasking is not going to be compatible. What do you think? Also it comes with Applecare.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
A coworker of mine is selling his 3G 16gb for $120. I'm planning to get the iPhone 4 but my contract doesn't end in months. For the time being, do you think I should get it since the price he is selling it for is really cheap and might not even upgrade down the line since i really don't want to lose my unlimited data. How much do you think the re-sell value of the 3Gs since OS4 multi-tasking is not going to be compatible. What do you think? Also it comes with Applecare.

I upgraded to the iPhone 4, and I still have my unlimited data plan. You can purchase the 3GS for a new two-year agreement for $99, so no that is not good. Plus, the 3G can not run everything from iOS4.

If I were you, I would just wait it out. Also, your contract does not have to end in order for you to qualify for a regular or early upgrade.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I upgraded to the iPhone 4, and I still have my unlimited data plan. You can purchase the 3GS for a new two-year agreement for $99, so no that is not good. Plus, the 3G can not run everything from iOS4.

If I were you, I would just wait it out. Also, your contract does not have to end in order for you to qualify for a regular or early upgrade.

You're missing the point, Tara. $120 is a steal because he doesn't need to sign for another two years and can wait out until he can upgrade to iPhone 4. ;)

$120 is a GREAT deal. And upgrading won't mess with your unlimited deal.

MBP09

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Yea that what I thought, i figured i could sell the 3G for a higher value for people who doesn't want to upgrade.

So upgrading to the newest iPhone 4 will not mess with my current 30$ unlimited data? Currently I am on a Blackberry data plan which brings me to my next question. Will the iPhone work with the BB data plan or will ATT recognize it and auto switch me to a plan w/o my permission?

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Yea that what I thought, i figured i could sell the 3G for a higher value for people who doesn't want to upgrade.

So upgrading to the newest iPhone 4 will not mess with my current 30$ unlimited data? Currently I am on a Blackberry data plan which brings me to my next question. Will the iPhone work with the BB data plan or will ATT recognize it and auto switch me to a plan w/o my permission?

I never thought about not wanting to enter into another contract because you expressed interest in the new iPhone.

However, you may not have as easy of a time to sell the 3G. Like I said before, not all features of iOS4 can be used on it, and it is discontinued. If you do not break even with the 3G, then you are spending more money for iPhone 4.

You should be able to keep your plan. I am not sure how the switching works though, and they may give you a hard time about it since they are pushing the new data plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.