Buy iPhone 4 now or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jenko, Aug 21, 2010.

  1. Jenko macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2009
    Hi I am interested in buying the new iPhone 4, but I am reluctant at the moment due to the whole antenna/reception etc ... situation. Was wondering does anyone have any thoughts on this situation at the moment, I was thinking about hanging on until the possible update in January that has been running through the rumor mill of late. I have a really basic phone at the moment which works ok, but it would make my life a lot easier with regards to being able to access the internet take photos and video on the go. Also I am not sure about the whole contract versus pay as you go issue what is best with regard to price, freedom of choice and upgradability in the future with a contract unlike the pay as you go choice?
    Thanks in advance of any info.
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and had zero issues with the death grip or crappy reception in the DC Metro area. Shrug.

    Personal preference. Decide on what your usage is going to be and then look at the costs of a contract (~$70+ per month for 2 years if you're in the US) vs. the up-front cost of buying an unlocked phone and paying by the minute.
  3. iggypod macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2010
    We purchased 2 32GBs on pre-order for launch day and also had no issues. So I would personally buy. If you're hesitant, wait.
  4. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2009
    Thanks for reply. I live in Ireland and here the cheapest contract is about €35 a month with limited 500mb data usage, the phone would cost €279 for 16gb and €379 for 32gb on contract. sim free phone is €599 for 16gb and €699 for 32gb. The contract is not that good as you do not get a lot of minutes with the monthly plan so they kind of force you to go up a notch and pay €45 a month to get 150 minutes per month. Not sure if the monthly is that good a deal but there is the bonus of an upgrade when any new iphones come out, I think the contract is for 18 months.
  5. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

    Aug 7, 2009
    Coachella, CA
    Well at first read I was going to suggest waiting til January to see if the phone comes to Verizon (not holding out). Then I read the last post about being in Ireland. I say go for it! I think the antenna issue has gotten out of hand with the hype taking it for a ride.

    I have to wait til January because if the rumors are true I would hate to be on the wrong side of the fence...unless the construction of the fence creates a better network?:eek:
  6. yorkshire macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2008
    January is a long time to wait. I'd go for it. If I had the patience to wait until January, I'd probably have the patience to wait all the way until next June for the iPhone 5.
  7. mr0c macrumors regular


    Jul 5, 2010
    Virginia, US
    I just got my iPhone 4 and love it, thankfully I managed to have some old stuff around the house which I sold on ebay to cover over half the cost ;-)

    There is a new EU directive which starts in Jan 2011 and states that all mobiles should have the mini usb charger, which Apple has apparently signed up for as well. Not sure how that will pan out but this version is a fast beautiful phone (and mini computer). I'm not disappointed in my choice.
  8. MCRunning macrumors 6502

    Sep 8, 2008
    I would wait, then when the iPhone 5 comes out you should wait for the iPhone 6
  9. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 31, 2008
    got mine on launch day, no problems with any reception
    no dropped calls, all sms goes through

    data seems slow at times but that's probably just my carrier

    just get it, you'll be a happy man afterwards ;)
  10. gan6660 macrumors 65816


    Aug 18, 2008
    Just got mine today and havent put it down since!
  11. Pillar macrumors 6502


    May 25, 2010
  12. SidBala macrumors 6502a

    Jun 27, 2010
    Just wait for iPhone5 then buy the 4 used for low price.
  13. MacInTO macrumors 65816


    Apr 25, 2005
    Canada, eh!
    I've had no problems with the death grip.

    If you're moving from a basic phone, your monthly cost will go up (maybe double).

    Why wait? There will always be something better around the corner and you'll always be waiting.
  14. duckmanjbr macrumors newbie

    Jul 23, 2009
    All in all it's up to you and keep in mind that software updates will fix most of the issues but between the ant. and the prox. sensor problems I am cursing my phone more and more each day. As long as I'm not trying to use it as a phone I love it! It seems like every time I'm on a call I start hitting buttons w/ my face and most of the time just hangup on people. That and the poor reception at times and I'm really hoping for an IOS update soon! :mad:
  15. Giuly macrumors 68040


    9 Month to go for the iPhone 4GS/5… If you worried about the antenna, it's not worth waiting, though. Get it now and just avoid touching the black line on the side of the iPhone, preferable by using the free case.

Share This Page