Buy Iphone 4 or Ipod Touch as a Tmobile Android User?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Noojin, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Noojin macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I can not decide what I want to do. I have the Tmobile G2/Desire Z (android phone) for Tmobile. I like the phone very much but at times, it does feel clunky and I like the smoothness of the IOS system. I like the notification bar android has but IoS5 will offer something similar to that now.

However, as a Tmobile user, I will lack 3g and HSPA+ network for internet if I carry the Iphone 4. That is a big con for me but how does everyone else feel for those who have an Iphone on the tmobile network? Also, I would be purchasing the Iphone locked to ATT (because I found a cheap deal) so I would have to jailbreak and unlock it and then manually update myself. Is this a hassle for anyone? I just don't want to consistently update it myself. I also like google navigation which IoS does not have. I know they have other GPS apps but they're additional money.

Another issue is the microsim card. I will purchase a microsim card from Tmobile. If I don't like the iphone, could Tmobile transfer me back with the sim card I have in my android phone?

With the Ipod touch, that is one extra thing to carry around but acts very similar to an iphone while still having a main phone.

What do you guys think? I am leaning more towards the Iphone 4 however, I just hate that it has no google navigator app and the lack of 3g/4g internet connection.

2. macinnv macrumors regular

How about an iPad and use your G2 to tether. If you dont want something big like an iPad then get an iPod touch. It allows most of the apps you find on the iPhone without having to dish out large amounts of money. I believe all T-Mobile data plans allow free tethering, or at least mine allows it. Go into the android settings and try turning on the hotspot.

3. Noojin thread starter macrumors newbie

I would like the Ipad but i am being offered with the iphone 4 for 215 dollars. I find this to be a good deal for me.

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Regardless if it's a good deal or not, the real question is, can you live without 3G? How often do you browse the web on your phone? Are you willing to sacrifice 3G speeds to be apart of the iOS ecosystem? Why not consider just switching to ATT? Too expensive? If so, it comes back to the question of whether you can tolerate EDGE (2G). If you think you'll be fine, go for it.