buy iphone 4 without service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xply, Sep 15, 2010.

1. xply macrumors newbie

hi, i was wondering if you could walk into an apple store and buy an iphone 4 without an att account? I remember doing this with the iphone 2g, just walking in and buying the phone. I went to their website to see if I can order an iphone 4 but it asks if you want to sign up as a new att customer or want to replace an existing line, no option for neither.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No.

Your options are upgrade, early upgrade, out of contract, and it has to be tied to an AT&T account or no sale.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

They most likely did it in order to prevent people from buying multiple phones and then selling them off on eBay. I bought mine at Apple store without a contract, but they had to activate it right there and then.

4. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

From a US store, you can get the phone contract free, but you must sign up for an AT&T account.

If you purchase it from an Apple Store in Canada or Mexico (or many other places internationally), you can get it both contract free and carrier free.

5. forcetactic macrumors 6502

6. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

There are local carriers in some areas that are also compatible. (No data of course)

7. jess127 macrumors member

Honestly your best bet is call apple early as soon as they open ask them first if they have the iphone 4 available for sale today (in the GB you desire)

If they do. Go to the store right away (they only have limited amout shipped everyday to the stores)

Bring the cash with you... and tell them you want to buy the iphone 4 without a contract...

I can confirm that I did this for myself in florida and i bought it. Some people are saying yes, some no, alot of people giving opinions without knowing wtf theyre talking about... just try it yourself...

PS: When I bought the iphone 4 they never had to activate anything, they didn't even take out the plastic wrapping, so don't believe everything you read in this forums cuz people love to give opinions without knowing what they're talking about.

Good luck! :apple: