buy iphone 4g for non U.S. citizen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by deli6z, Jul 3, 2010.

1. deli6z macrumors newbie

Hi evybody. Thank you for reading this. I'm from Ukraine and I'll be here till december 2010. I want to buy this amazing phone but i didn't decided yet what way is better for me - to pay 299$ and get contract with At&t or buy no contract device for 699$. In first case I need to pay 500$ deposit fee cause i dont have social security history. So it turns out that i have just one way - pay whole price. But i have few questions about that:

1. Do they able to take back my phone back in december when i leave the country?
    2. Do i need to pay penalty 325$ in december to at&t?
    3. they told me even having no contract iphone i have to use at&t and pay about 80$ per month and i cant use prepaid sim card to talk - is this TRUE?

thaks for answers...

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

1. Do they able to take back my phone back in december when i leave the country?

No, the phone is yours.

2. Do i need to pay penalty 325$ in december to at&t?

If you pay full no contract price, then there is no $325 penalty.

3. they told me even having no contract iphone i have to use at&t and pay about 80$ per month and i cant use prepaid sim card to talk - is this TRUE?

Yes, that's true. Even worse, you cannot use it anywhere else in the world as it is locked to AT&T. They will not unlock it for you under any circumstances. By then you can probably jailbreak it and unlock it yourself. OTOH, you can always sell it before you leave.

3. deli6z thread starter macrumors newbie

got ya

1. so better to buy complete unlocked phone somewhere in canada or online on ebay? what price is gonna be for this phone?

2. are there already any software to unlock iphone 4 from at&t?