buy iPhone 5s or wait for iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teke978, Dec 12, 2013.

1. teke978 macrumors newbie

is it worth it to buy an unlocked iPhone 5s now, when it's first becoming available - 3 months after the introduction of the iPhone 5s/c! - or better to wait a few more months for the iPhone 6 to come out? (It could be less than a few months if Apple does to iPhone 5s buyers what they did to iPad 3 buyers and brings out a new model only 6 months after the model it is replacing!)

Thanks for advice - $650+tax is a big investment on a phone if it's only going to be current for a few months!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you have now?

If you have a iPhone 5, I'd say its not worth it, and wait for the iPhone 6 next summer. If you have an older model, does the 5S have features that you don't now have but want or can you live with your phone longer?

I think the age old adage fits, if you need it now, get it, if you can wait then your patience will be rewarded.

3. macigo macrumors regular

We already knew something was wrong with the iPad 3 though. So I say just buy it and then buy the next one regardless.

I bought the iPhone 5. Then I bought the iPhone 5c, had that one for 3 months until the unlocked 5s came out. All of them were unlocked. And I will be buying the iPhone 6.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

the bang for the buck will be in the 6S.

5. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I always get a laugh from people who would rather wait 9 months for something that doesn't even exist yet then take advantage of technology that exists today that is already proven to great.

6. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

5s for me

At first I was going to wait till next year and the 6 to upgrade from the iPhone 4 I had, but then after thinking about it I don't want a bigger screen size which is a possibility, the phones are getting to big to be really portable to me so I decided to upgrade now to the 5s and that will last me for the 2 year contract life and then I will deal with whatever Apple's design is for the iPhone then.

So far I love the fingerprint scanning of the 5s... great addition

7. teke978 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice, everyone, and rockitdog, I'm glad I gave you a laugh :)

I'll still have to think about it, but right now I'm leaning toward waiting for the iPhone 6 - never had a smartphone, so guess waiting won't kill me...

Btw, macigo, what was wrong with the iPad 3? If I had known something was wrong with it, I wouldn't have gotten one the first day they went on sale - first time I EVER did that!

Thanks, again!

8. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Why on earth would you upgrade from a 5 to a 5S when you can wait for the new hotness?

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

by time 6 comes, u will wait for 6s, then 7, then 7s. have fun waiting

10. iWooz macrumors member

11. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Get a 12 month contract or buy outright and just get each new one... Problem solved!

The next "C" model will no doubt be a rehashed 5s so if the 6 is larger, the C model won't be and perhaps that's the future for the C models, to keep the current size but with updated internals as time goes on, whilst the flagship model is bigger and always one step ahead so don't worry that if you keep your 4 then change when the 6 is out that you'll have to get that, because you'll have choices :)

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

We all now the 6 will have a larger/wider screen.

Wait if that is what you want!

13. Bodygard macrumors regular

- If you don't have an iphone, buy a 5S now
    - If you have a 4 or earlier, buy a 5S now
    - If you have a 4S/5, wait for iphone 6

14. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Buy a used 4S on craigslist and wait for the 6 imo.

15. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

This ^^ :)

16. Teenytarks macrumors newbie

17. Irishman macrumors 68030

next year, if Apple keeps to practice.

18. Raiton10 macrumors newbie

I´m thinking about this question too wait or buy. I don´t know I would buy ip5s, but there are a lot of problems such as rattling power button and clicking screen..
    But wait another 10 months, it is annoying.
    It is really hard decision to make.

19. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

The 6 will have problems, any product does but you only hear the bad stuff online rather than the majority who have no such issues... Waiting almost a year for a product that doesn't exist isn't really logical, if you need a new phone now, get a 5c or 5s.

20. frank33v macrumors member

This ^^^

21. Bear macrumors G3

More like 9 to 10 months.

22. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

How is it going to work out?

iphone 6
    Iphone 5s
    iphone 5c

or are they moving the 5s into plastic casing?

will be interesting how it plays out. I just got the 5s so I need to wait for the 6s

23. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Just like the 5S does.

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

I disagree on waiting if 4S.

Everyone has different needs. If lte speed is available and op likes to use data. Than upgrading from 4S to 5S is def worth it just for lte speed.

If you have a 5. Upgrading to 5 S is a little bit of overkill unless you want a better camera.

The question for op is. What phone are they using right now?

25. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

I was implying they all have issues, apple products, android products, windows products... It's only because we use dedicated apple product forums that we read the "horror stories" which simply aren't all that bad in the real world percentage wise.