Buy iPhone for someone else.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jackking, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jackking macrumors newbie

I bought a 3G iphone from AT&T online intend to give it my a friend of mine live in another country. I read many many posts but still confused with what I need to do before sending the phone out. My intention is to pay the $175 ETF on top of what had paid for the phone itself. I had to sign the 2yr contract when purchase the phone but I was told the phone was not activated.

I had the phone in hand right now in a sealed box and was told I will need to call to activate. My confusion from reading the posts were the following:

1. Some said the phone is already activated. But the phone is in a sealed box how can it be?

2. In AT&T policy, it states that "If you do not accept your service terms and conditions and do not return the equipment within 30 days, you will be billed for the phone's full retail price, and you service will be canceled."
    Does this mean I will need to activate in order to accept the service terms and conditions? Does this mean if I send the phone out to my friend without open the box, I will be charged with full retail price instead of $175 ETF after 30 days? Do I have to open the box and make the phone call to "activate" the phone so I can later cancel the service and just pay the $175 ETF?

3. If I make the phone call to "activate" the phone then send the phone to my friend, will he still be able to unlock the phone?

Thanks in advance!

2. The General macrumors 601

The phone is not activated if it is still sealed in the box.

If you cancel your service before the 30 day mark, you will have to return the phone or they will charge you the full retail price of the phone - $599 and $699 for the 8GB and 16GB respectively. If you cancel after 30 days and after having paid one bill, you get charged the ETF and you can keep the phone.

Open it, activate it, take your SIM card out, ship it to your friend, pay the first month's bill when the time comes, and then cancel on the 31st day.

He will be able to unlock it no matter what.