Buy iPhone from AT&T or Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmjax, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mmjax macrumors newbie

I have a huge, new AT&T store close to my house, and an Apple store about 15 miles away. It is more convenient for me to buy my 3GS from AT&T, but I was wondering if anyone has a good reason why I am better off buying it from the Apple store? I have read on this forum that several members have gone through several iPhones due to manufacturing defects and I would like a minimum replacement hassle (should it come to that), whether purchased through Apple or AT&T.

Anyone think I am better off buying at Apple?

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks...

2. kits macrumors member

Check out bing.com cashback details from AT&T on slickdeals.net. It might save you 25-35% buying the iPhone from AT&T with 2-year contract.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Well...I hate standing in lines and not being guaranteed a phone so I suggest the online pre-order.
    However, at the AT&T store they'll know more about the service contract of the plan than the phone. At Apple, they'll know more about the phone, but will be so busy on the 19th they'll probably not have much time to help you too much. Perhaps you should consider a one-on-one genius appointment for orientation to the phone if needed.

4. mmjax thread starter macrumors newbie

Kit thanks for the tip. I went to bing.com, searched for AT&T and the first link was for cashback on AT&T, but it seems like the link is not working.

To be honest, my main concern is a minimum amount of hassle in case I come across some sort of hardware defect. I'd like to be able to walk into the store, say "here are a couple of dead pixels" (for example), and they basically hand me a new phone.

Can I buy a phone from AT&T and get it replaced at the Apple store? Or does it have to be AT&T?

Thanks.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

ALL iPhone warranties are handled with Apple. AT&T cannot and will not replace a defective phone regardless of where you purchased it.

If you don't want any hassle, then do the online pre-order and it will be shipped to your house and arrive on June 19th.