Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sauceking11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
I'm kinda stressed on what I should do. I've been waiting for the new iphone for some months now, I never had the intention to get a data plan since I'm still in college and the parents are paying my cellphone bills, I don't think its fair to ask them to dish out at least 80 bucks a month for me. I always had the intention of buying for wi-fi, but I like the 3G because in the future when I get a job and start paying my own bills I could theoretically switch to my own plan (and I assume data will be cheaper in a few years, but that's also assuming I'm still using this 3G iphone). Also I liked the GPS and improved reception because I live in a condo where only SE, the iPhone and Nokia phones get any reception (and none of them are TOO good, they all get about the same bars).

Now with that said, should I wait for the new 3G iphones or get one now? I'm just afraid that when the new 3G iphones come out, it becomes set in stone that you HAVE to sign a data plan to get the iphone and then the prices on the old iphones will increase. I think basically the old iphone has everything I want minus GPS and better reception (I like the aluminum though) which I guess I can live with. Whats the speculation on continued hacks/unlocks for the gen1 iPhone? I don't want it for sure if people are gonna stop hacking the firmware as I live in Canada and Rogers here stated a policy that they will not activate gen1 iphones and would even fire any employee on the spot if they tried to do so.

Technology is a stressful thing...

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don't know if you have to get data, someone else will answer that question.

But, I'm getting the 3G iPhone because:

I got the 4GB on launch day and my phone is scratched and dented (didn't get a case until about 3 weeks after we received the $100 credit)

3G in my area is very strong (according to the map) and so is voice, and with a plastic back, I can take full advantage of 3G. I also go to parties and places in NYC and my friends don't have GPS so this would also come in handy. I could also use the 16GB because of the Apps Store. Also, I just like the idea of having "the new" iPhone and I actually do like the look of it, especially the fact that audio quality and speaker quality is improved. So all in all, those are the reasons why I'm upgrading.

If your area doesn't have 3G and if you don't really need GPS and you already have a 16GB phone, stressing yourself upgrading isn't that necessary unless you've got the money.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
I think it's pretty responsible that you are thinking about your parents. I've seen so many young people that just expect their parents to afford everything.

Try to get the 3G since it has features you are looking for. I personally don't go for the jailbreaking thing because I don't know how long it will last. Is the Rogers pricing same as the AT&T in the US? If so, the old phone is expensive up front, while the new phone is lower costing up front. Maybe it's something you can talk to your parents about and see if they would rather spend less up front and a little more each month.

Also, I read in the thread that someone on AT&T cancelled their data plan after getting the phone. If you don't need that check if you can do that with Rogers.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
i think it would be better to get the old iphone so you dont have to pay for data. which will be expensive in this wonderfully overpriced nation of canada.

Dero501

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I was in the same boat as you. I had been waiting for the new iPhone for quite some time and was really excited until they announced the data plan rates. I too am a college student and are on my parents plan so they said they would allow the "old" iPhone plan but thats the highest. I was pissed (not at my parents) about the new data plans but for some reason decided to check corporate discounts. It allowed me to input my college email address and I found out that each month I receive 20% off each bill for being a student at my college. This brings it down to about 60 a month with 40 voice plan+data+200 SMS. This may not work for you but its worth a try. Its the difference between me being able to get the new phone and not so it may be able to help you out. Heres the link:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I would hold out and see what the data plans are before you make a final decision. You'll be really upset if you go with the old one and then hear that the unlimited data plan is affordable.
I have to think, for the next little while at least, you should be able to find current gen iPhones for sale so you can probably afford to wait a couple of more weeks (or however long it takes Rogers to announce plan pricing.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I was in the same boat as you. I had been waiting for the new iPhone for quite some time and was really excited until they announced the data plan rates. I too am a college student and are on my parents plan so they said they would allow the "old" iPhone plan but thats the highest. I was pissed (not at my parents) about the new data plans but for some reason decided to check corporate discounts. It allowed me to input my college email address and I found out that each month I receive 20% off each bill for being a student at my college. This brings it down to about 60 a month with 40 voice plan+data+200 SMS. This may not work for you but its worth a try. Its the difference between me being able to get the new phone and not so it may be able to help you out. Heres the link:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

Thank you very much for that link. I just found out that I can receive a AT&T discount because of my job :D

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I'd personally wait....well I am anyways but you will be saving $200 bucks if you wait one more month. I also like the look of the new one actually more than the old one but thats just my preference.

So all in all, wait if you can.

Sauceking11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. Yes I suppose I should wait, but whatever deal you guys get with AT&T, however bad, will be better than here in Canada. On the US Apple site is says the iPhone will be available in Apple stores but on the Canadian site it doesn't list it anywhere and only says available in Rogers and Fido stores (they are both technically the same freakin company).

I also have 500$ of my own money saved up to drop on the phone so I don't really care if its subsidized or not. I actually don't even want to renew my plan as my account is in my dads name and my parents are both pretty busy, I'm sure they don't want to wait in line on July 11th to renew a contract, and I don't want to be stuck with Rogers for another 2-3 years...

To tell you the truth, I'm starting to lean towards getting an old one and have been scouring craigslist for one thats BNIB. I have a thing with buying used electronics. I love unboxing them and an used one is like a devirgined whore in my eyes :D I remember I bought a used Nokia once off of craigslist and it looked fine at first but then I brought it home and found tons of hairline scratches on the back that can only be seen under direct light, I know it's trivial but these little things piss me off. Enough ranting!

Astro8973

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
i personaly grabbed a 16gb iphone on ebay yesterday. i have no need for 3g cuz im on tmobile and i couldnt care less about the gps. plus i like the 1st gen design better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.