Buy iphone now or wait for a price drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macnewbbie, Jul 8, 2008.

1. macnewbbie macrumors regular

Hi.
    I've been waiting for the iphone for a long time, now that it arrived at my country i don't know if i should buy it or not. I want to buy without any contract(pay and go) because the contract offers here are just ridiculous... so the price here for pay and go, in dollars, is 797usd for the 8gb.
    I don't know if i should buy it now, because it's a lot of money and i don't know if the price will go down, like last year with the first iphone...
    Any advice? what would you do?
    thanks

2. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

im pretty sure the price wont drop on this one.

3. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

4. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

6. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Usually the price levels stay the same and they just keep adding new features/upgrades to their products.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yeah, and i don't see that happening until early next year.

8. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Not sure how much cheaper the UK Iphone could get, free 8GB on a £45 plan, thats a really good deal! Unless they start paying people to use there phone, then i would be really p*ss*d off!!

9. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

In the US it's cheaper, but here, i think it's expensive. I mean, 796 dollars( 510€), for me it's a bit expensive...But if it wont down the price in the US probably wont go down here...
    But last year, when the iphone was realeased, the prices were similar to this prices that we have here, thats why i thought the price could go down...

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It should be noted that the OP (wherever he may be located) is getting a non-contract phone.

As far as I know Apple isn't setting a price for non-contract phones. That's more up to the carrier and how much a price hit they want to take. So a price drop isn't out of the question (but still unlikely).

11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The issue between this time and last time was revenue sharing. Apple was in complete control of the price because they were getting a chunk of your monthly fee from AT&T/O2/whomever. This time though (at least in most countries), they're selling the phones to the carriers who can subsidize them as they see fit. (I'm being very general here, not sure of the specifics).

So if you're not willing to sign a contract to get the subsidized fee (your perogative), you're pretty much at the mercy of the carrier so that they get their money back from Apple. I wouldn't expect an Apple price drop either becuase, in their eyes, they're giving you the option for a cheaper phone.

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Its clear that you have no interest in the iphone. The phone is not out yet and you are asking about a price drop.

13. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

I don't get one with contract becuase the offers are just ridiculous, nothing like other countries. Do you know how much they offer for internet use? get ready to laugh(or cry..) 250mb each month!! that why i choose without contract...

14. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

I have interest on the iphone, i've been wainting for the iphone for more than a year, but i also have interest in my money and saving it:p

15. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Like I said before, definitely up to you (and it sounds like you're justified), but remember that the same people who are gouging you on the contract will likely be the ones controlling a future price drop (unless Apple drops the price it sells the phones to carriers to, which is not as likely as last year due to people won't be as frustrated by the subsidized price)

16. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

its probably a "stupid" question and also subjective, but for you that have an iphone, do you think it's worth the money? I only get to use an ipod touch for like 1 minute, and i really loved it, but as a phone, is there anything you miss from other phones? I guess for me it will be the bluetooth, that doesn't allow send/recive files...