Buy iPhone now or Wait till New iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Jul 14, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

I'm really considering getting an iPhone but I have read a few reviews and I have come to the conclusion that the iPhone 3G just isn't that much different. So I'm thinking of just waiting it out until the next iPhone comes out. I say this because apparently (as it says in the iLounge review on the Conclusion page) that this iPhone was rushed and a new one is "around the corner". What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

snverhallen

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apparently nothing. There won't be another iPhone for a year, and there will ALWAYS be something better next.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Only wait if you can afford to. I don't own an iPhone yet; I'm waiting for more storage capacity and don't mind doing so.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I think you should wait on the 5th gen. I hear it is going to have things not even thought of yet.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I second this. Best thing to do is figure out if you need an iPhone.

I've got a 3rd-gen 15 GB iPod and a Motorola L6.

I was hoping for 32GB and 3G in this release. 3G is here and I can deal with 16GB, so I will be buying a 16GB instead of waiting for a 32GB.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Doubt it. I'd think we'll see the next one next summer.

If someone doesn't have an iPhone, this is a great time to buy one.

If someone has the 1st iPhone I'd say that it's worth considering, but a new upgrade probably isn't critical. People are getting 2-year contracts and it looks like Apple is playing along and making the hardware "look good" for 2 years as well.

I just bought my first iPhone this weekend and I suspect that the 2009 iPhone won't tempt me and I'll end up upgrading in 2010.

7. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I'm considering holding out for the 6th gen with built in solar panels. :p

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I laughed

If you want it, get it

9. -M7- macrumors member

If you don't already own a 1st Gen iPhone, now would be a great time to buy the new one. Be prepared to wait nearly an year for the next iPhone.

10. PrestoFive macrumors newbie

Agreed. You may want to wait (if you can) if you have the currently own a iPhone for the next iPhone after 3G.

Although, I would doubt there would be a big update for a year or two. Maybe a few changes here and there.

11. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

IMO

WAIT! for the new one.

Then when that is announced, post here again and ask the same question. :D

12. aforty macrumors 65816

Wait for the new one, it's just around the corner and it's gonna be 100x times better!

13. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Buy NOW!

iPhone 3G is awesome, and you know your going to buy every subsequent future model of iPhone anyway, so why not? :cool:

R-Fly

14. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Do you not already have an iPhone?

If that is the case then Buy it!
    I bought my first iphone on friday and I love it. There will always be something better coming out, so you're always tempted to wait, but before you know it years of your life have passed by using that old POS cell phone! Embrace the new technology as it arrives, there's always something better on the horizon and when it comes you can choose if you want to get That one.

In my case, waiting 1 year is long enough! No way i'm gonna wait until the next iPhone. That doesn't even include the pre-iphone announcement rumor-mill. So in total I've been wanting an iPhone for about 2 years now, and I finally got one.

15. HaroldC macrumors regular

no man, you gotta wait for the 7th gen. I hear it's going to brew coffee. :p

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I heard a rumour that it will also do MMS but dismissed it as wild speculation ;)

17. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Gen 8 iPhone will have copy feature however you will have to wait till gen 9 for paste :D

18. HaroldC macrumors regular

lol! :D

19. tamakin macrumors member

I'm waiting for AT&T to boost the speed of their 3G networks to 20mbps. I'll get the 3rd gen iphone that can download at 20mbps.

20. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

If the iPhone 3G's radio was capable of downloading at 20mbps you may get 15min of surf time from your battery. There is no single magic feature around the corner that does not depend on a whole lot of other things or on compromise.

21. Twinkie macrumors regular

Yeah, and once again, Apple leaves their mocha latte fans out in the cold. No way am I going to throw down my hard earned cash for that overhyped piece of junk.

Sorry, Steve. Back to the drawing board!

22. barryallott macrumors member

you may laugh at this but apple has done a patent for solar panels behind the display......... so you just might be right

23. barryallott macrumors member

they should dump data on 3g and go 4g (WiMAX). thats the future. coverage is AWSOME.

24. barryallott macrumors member

no wonder thier headquarters is in Cupertino!

25. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all your replies and comic relief :p!

Much appreciated!

snverhallen