buy iphone now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rfong06, Jan 15, 2008.

1. rfong06 macrumors member

:I'm planning to get an iphone this weekend, but does anyone know around what month iphone 2 will be coming out? Would it include gps and a better camera? Sorry for being a newbie :(

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

After it not being at Macworld I'd say at the earliest this spring but the rumoured 3G iPhone is more likely heading for us this summer.
    I'm not a massive follower of iPhone rumours however so others may be more in the know ;)

3. Pookieinc macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you. I want to get it really badly, and I really want 3G (as it is pretty good in our area), but I don't know if I can really wait until Summer...

4. rfong06 thread starter macrumors member

I hope that it will be soon. Do you think there will be gps apps in Feb?

5. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Get it now. Or you never will. Come on I have friends saying the same thing. I am waiting. Well, you could be waiting a long time and then you may want to want for version 3 of the phone. Just get it already. The things is great I have had it for under a month now and my friends oogle over it every time I see them. With the update today and SDK coming out soon. Why wait. Just my $.02

6. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I'm with you, Westernmass. I have had mine since June 29, and I am so happy I haven't 'waited' and missed the awesome joy of having this iPhone.

To the waiters I say get it if you want it, keep it in immaculate condition for re-sale. There will be a slight financial loss (consider it a rental fee), but there will be someone for whom the iPhone at retail is too pricey, who will be happy to buy your's.

7. rfong06 thread starter macrumors member

Is it possbile for an update so that the iphone can use video recording possible?

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nothing is certain, but some people have done some tests that lead us to believe the iPhone's hardware is capable of video recording. So there's a chance there COULD be a software update for this.

On the other hand, Apple could just as easily make this an iPhone 2 feature and never put it on iPhone 1 just to encourage people to upgrade.

So there's no telling, really.

9. Sean9689 macrumors member

Glad I didn't wait as well.
    I've had mine since August and it's been the best phone I've ever owned.
    Coming from a Nokia N95 (among others), the iPhone is tough to beat.

10. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I don't understand how you could go from a 5mp a/v camera phone with HSDPA and Wifi to the iPhone... I guess it just depends if you're comfortable with your current phone enough to hold on to it for the time being. I currently have an N75, and I think that will hold me over until the iPhone 2 comes out.

11. Sean9689 macrumors member

I do miss the camera on the N95.
    The Wifi & internet browser on the iPhone totally destroys the N95.
    The iPod (media player) on the iPhone totally destroys the media player on the N95.
    The iPhone is a better built device (glass/metal vs. plastic).

Overall, the only thing I miss is the camera on the N95. That said, if I really want to be serious about snapping pics, I have my dedicated digital camera for that. The iPhone doesn't take terrible pics, but nothing like the N95. I use to switch phones every 3 months or so to the latest and greatest, but I've had my iPhone since August and nothing has been able to make me switch (that says a lot to me).

12. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

That's good to hear, especially since I only have the N75. All that tells me is that I will be much happier overall when I DO switch to the iPhone 2 (whenever it comes out). Thanks Sean!

13. rfong06 thread starter macrumors member

I'll buy one this weekend and maybe trade it in for an upgrade. Does anyone know how much it will cost for upgrading it? Maybe an estimate?

14. Hustle macrumors 6502a

If you're asking should you wait now, then you'll be asking should you wait when iPhone v2 comes out, because iPhone V3 will be out 12 months later.
    Technology changes all the time. Buy it now to enjoy.

15. WeAreForsaken macrumors newbie

WeAreForsaken

i will finally buy one this week. im so tired of my sidekick 3. i hate t-mobile.