Buy iPhone now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tamilboy, Nov 8, 2009.

  1. tamilboy macrumors newbie

    Sep 16, 2009
    Currently I always have my 2G iPod Touch and my samsung phone with me everywhere... I was thinking about buying a 16GB iPhone instead... I looked in the Macrumors Buyer's Guide where it said that the iphone is approaching the end of a cycle... Should I wait? Im in no hurry..
  2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000


    May 22, 2009
    The iPhone will not be updated until summer next year.
  3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    If you are in no hurry, I suppose you have answered your question. The new iPhone is going to be introduced in the spring (likely June) and released in June or July, unless hell freezes over. I didn't think there was a need to upgrade to the 3GS and am waiting on the fourth generation. Plenty will suggest buying now, and selling it on eBay when the new one comes out as a way to recuperate some of the costs.
  4. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm in same situation. I currently have 3 years old Nokia (6767 I think) which works OK, but I've always wanted an iPhone and I think it's time to do it now. I have my birthday in 13th of December so I think I'm gonna ask iPhone 3GS as a present from my parents. So, should I wait till June or get one now? Basically I use phone for just calling and SMS but I think I would do more with a more decent phone than my current.

    Does anybody have idea how major the next update will be? Last one focused in speed so are we gonna see redesign with next rev? I like the current design so that's not so big deal.

    Oh, and one more thing. I'm planning to keep it for at least 2 years so buying one now and selling it when new one comes isn't an option
  5. tamilboy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 16, 2009
    Okay..thanks.. if the updates are coming in June... Then I don't want wait :).. if it was 2 or 3 month waiting I would have waited :)

  6. Willis macrumors 68020


    Apr 23, 2006
    Beds, UK
    If you're keeping it for 2 years, just buy one now. If you can wait, then hold out for the next generation.

    As for features, no news as yet but we can bet we'll see more of it soon.

    It only says its near end of cycle due to a space increase in the first model. Every major release has been June/July so you can pretty much guess thats when the next will appear.

    End of the day, it all depends if you want to buy one now and enjoy having it, or wait for the next version. You'll find though that the contract lengths mean you end up either having to get the next revision with 6 months till the next release of the version after. I have a 3G and I'm missing the 3GS as my contract expires in January. I'm waiting till the next release.
  7. skye12 macrumors 65816


    Nov 11, 2006
    Austin, Tx
    There are several iphone possibilities to be aware of. First, that a $99 8GB GS
    model may be available before this Xmas. Secondly, that this next summers
    iphone revision may be the new world phone. That is a GSM/CDMA hybrid
    that may work with any wireless network in the world, including Verizon and Sprint here in the US. ATT's exclusive deal will likely expire this next summer.

    So my concern is, do I want to lock myself into a new 2 year contract with ATT
    when I may have more choices and maybe, just maybe some competitive
    service plans to choose from.
  8. boston44 macrumors 6502

    May 8, 2009
    I would wait if possible.. IMO, the 3GS doesn't offer enough upgrades/design to change for me..
  9. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

    Feb 25, 2008

    I got my iphone 3G in like January of 2009. 4-5 months later, the 3GS came out. I definitely wish I had it over my iPhone (more storage for what I paid, faster, video camera, compass).

    If you can hold out until the new ones are released in the summer, you'll get an even better phone.
  10. Arkangil macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2009
    I am in the same boat in so far as I have a Blackberry Pearl, and I am considering either an iPhone, HTC Hero, Moto Droid (if it comes to Canada), or Blackberry Storm2.

    I have been flip flopping between all of these. Currently on an iPhone swing, since my 5th gen iPod video just died.

    Anyway, that's neither here nor there. Question for the post above. Is the Compass really a selling feature?! I could see someone wanting the 3GS for the speed, the storage, or the video camera. But is the compass worth mentioning?
  11. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

    Feb 25, 2008
    To be honest, yes. I probably wouldn't pay $100 JUST for the compass, but it IS an important feature in my mind when using augmented reality apps and Google Maps (I've gotten lost plenty of times because I've been in a rush and went in the wrong direction).

    If you have a mac, you probably want to get an iPhone. I had an HTC Fuze for a few weeks before the iPhone, and the hardware was awesome. But it was nothing like an iPhone. I switched to it and couldn't be happier. The integration between the mac and iphone is awesome
  12. Arkangil macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2009
    Yes, I am a Mac owner, albeit a new one. I think for me it's a matter of what I want my mobile device to be. I am a business owner and right now I use my bb exclusively for email, and that works.

    I figure if I get something new, I want to get into the whole app/web thing one way or another. If I want a pure email device, I will get the new Bold 9700. If I want something that can do email, but will also fix my ailing ipod, and have apps, and other fun stuff, iPhone it is. If I want something that is mediocre at both email and fun stuff, but MAY have the potential for so much more, then it'll be a Google something.

    I read the articles about people saying Android will be #1 by 2012, and that may be true, except the fact is that being open source, doesn't guarantee market success. See Linux. It has to hit that critical mass of having lots of people on the platform, there-by enticing developers to get on board. Just not sure if Google will get there in this 3 year contract (stupid Canadian telecoms!)


Share This Page