buy iphone now? [update:bought it!]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sal, Feb 6, 2008.

1. sal macrumors 6502

First off let me start off by saying that I've been holding off on the iphone because I was waiting for my sprint contract to expire. It expired on January 20th. Perfect timing because it'll be after macworld and I expected to buy the 2nd generation iphone and was disappointed when it wasn't announced. If it wasn't for my sprint contract, I would have purchased it last year.

Now the 16gb came out. There is nothing stopping me except the possibility of the 2nd generation iphone coming out soon. And by soon I mean within the next 6 months.

the release of the 16gb model just makes me nervous. I almost bought the iphone immediately after my spring contract expired, since the new iphone wasn't announced. I would have missed out on the 16gb version. I just don't want to purchase the iphone now and in afew weeks or even a couple of months, the 2nd gen iphone comes out.

But I guess that's one of the things with apple. You just never know.

I need to decide whether to purchase the iphone now or simply renew my contract with sprint and purchase whatever iphone is available in two years(after sprint contract expires) thoughts?

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

no matter what you do or when you buy, an upgraded version of the iphone will be released. why dont you just buy it now and enjoy it. if you always worry about when the next version is released you will never buy a phone. version 3 will replace version 2 and so on.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

In two years you'll be worrying about the same thing you are now- whether they will release the 3rd Gen iPhone within months of you purchasing.

God...I was really slow on this one. :) That's what I get for trying to do actual work at work.

4. sal thread starter macrumors 6502

after re-reading my post and the comments I realized just how silly my question was.

Back when i bought my macbookpro, there was rumors of a new macbook pro being released in a few weeks(when leopard shipped). I still bought it because I needed it. Even if a new macbook pro would have been released, I wouldn't have cared. Well 4 months later, there is still no macbook pro. However the most important part is, I've been using the macbook pro for 4 months and I've been very happy with it. If I waited, I'd still be waiting around for it. I would never have bought it, like you said.

I guess I need to go into the same mindset with the iphone.
    bingo. this makes perfect sense. thanks

I'll be purchasing my iphone in the next couple of days. Now if the new iphone is released next week, I am holding you guys responsible :eek:

haha jp

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

this is exactly the way i felt. I bought an 8gb iphone on saturday thru the apple store. it was actually delivered today and I returned it via fedex today. I cancelled my order yesterday and ordered the 16gb after learning about the new 16gb iphone. i waited and waited and meanwhile all my friends and even my dad have an iphone. i have no regrets and if the next one is that much better i will sell this one on ebay and get the newer one. =)

6. sal thread starter macrumors 6502

well I purchased my 16gb iphone yesterday and activated it late last night. Surprised how quick and easy it was to transfer over my old phone number and get the iphone activated. Especially after reading some of the horror stories.

Now I am off to do some much needed research on iphone cases. I don't want this thing scratched... ;)

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Still don't understand this.

"I want the surface to look nice, so I'll cover it up so no one can see it."

Yeah, so now it'll look perfect for when, uhm, no one sees it.

That's a solution?

8. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

That is why you use a BSE or Invisible Shield. ;)

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've actually heard that the BodyGuardz iPhone skin is better than both BSE or Invisible Shield.

10. sal thread starter macrumors 6502

I never said I wanted to cover it up so no one can see it. I was looking for a transparent case.