Buy iphone now, upgrade later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DougiesGoinDeep, Jun 12, 2008.

1. DougiesGoinDeep macrumors newbie

I read that if you buy the old iphone after May 27 that you can upgrade to the new one PLUS get refunded the price difference (http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9717097-1.html?tag=slide_1).

So would there be any downside in getting the old iphone now (if it can be found anywhere) then just exchanging it in a month? How does the refund work, if you get a 8GB now for $400, do you get the 3G 8GB + a $200 refund in July? Can you pay $100 to upgrade to the 16GB?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Good luck finding one... just wait the 29 days...

3. DougiesGoinDeep thread starter macrumors newbie

assuming i could find one...

why wait 30 days if I can use an old iphone for nothing more? plus it might make it easier to get the 3G if I am only exchanging and not starting a new contract with everyone else.

4. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

You will be required to pay the restocking fee on the iPhone your trading in.

5. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

You have to give them your old iphone and you won't be getting a rebate.

6. DougiesGoinDeep thread starter macrumors newbie

from what I read in the comments section of Gizmodo, it looks like if I went out and bought an iphone tomorrow (or for anyone that bought after May 27) you get to exchange it for the 3G, get refunded for the old phone, minus a 10% restocking fee.

7. Mason1 macrumors member

I was just at my apple store today and they had some old ones...

It was very tempting but I figured Ill just wait

8. bavarian3 macrumors member

That is what I did... although I've been told the restocking fee won't apply*

*The ATT rep is still getting information from corporate so it takes time before they have a set standard across the board. I think it was a smart move to buy one now regardless IF you can find one. Everyone is clamoring about 3G and GPS; but I really think the important aspect of the iPhone is the software development.....

9. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

As I understood it, that only applied to customers purchasing between 5/27 and 6/9. Customers purchasing after that might be SOL, since you can't exactly argue you didn't know about the new one.

10. bavarian3 macrumors member

From what I was told, they extended the 6/9 date.